Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why oh why are all the best looking ones bucks and why are all my litters male heavy and why oh why do males in general wind me up...oops sorry that bit is not mouse related :oops:

so yep is there a reason litters seem to be male heavy and the best looking ones (in the marked variatys) always seem to be male aswell!

·
Registered
584 Posts
It's the law of sod! But at least you get to choose a stunning stud buck ;) It's less of an issue with rats cos males are happy in groups even after they have been bred from. But too many males is the bane of my cavy breeding...

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Oooohh tell me about it!!! Why can't bucks just live together happily dammit!!! hehe

Worst thing is, I tend to like males more anyway cos I find they are more mellow and easily hand tamed.

Willow xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Bucks from one subset of my mice live happily together forever as long as they're not bred.

But that defeats the purpose of keeping them, doesn't it?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I've had a couple bucks who I "experimented" with and bred and then put them back in with their brothers and it went reasonably ok. But I'm a bit paranoid and didn't want them to chew each other apart while I was sleeping or something so I separated them.

Bucks are generally nicer than does because they have (slightly) bigger heads, (slightly) better tail set-ons, and (slightly) better strength of bone. Not always, mind you, but as a general rule.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Male mousies are more fun; almost all my faves over the years have been boys. They like to play and are eager to come out and climb all over me. I have a couple of lines in which the boys live peaceably with their fathers, even when one of them is taken out to stud and put back after a couple of weeks. I've only had a handful of does who were really ready to play and actively sought out The Hand. As I don't routinely cull unneeded bucks I have a lot of them, and there's a limit to how much space they can be allowed to occupy. I try to house them in close quarters until they are past 6 mo. of age and gotten past the testosterone surges that come at 10 to 15 weeks. Once they are over adolescence and remain nonviolent, then I consider putting them in a bigger tank. There are occasional scrapping over tasty bits of food, and I keep a close eye on my boys (all my meeces, actually. I love to watch my mousies interact) and the ones I don't want to breed may be culled if they start acting up. The ones who do fight are very likely to be held back from breeding unless I really, really need their contribution in a project.

BTW, laoshu: WOWSERS! Boing boing boing! wanna get one or two or three...

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
why are all my litters male heavy
To date I've had 188 bucks and 107 does born in my mousery!

I get a bit more attached to my adult stud bucks because I only have 2 or 3 per line at a time and I keep them until they've produced a son better than they are to replace them. I like their wide faces and hunky bodies :)

Laoshu: I LOVE those creamy looking ones in with the fawns!

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
My best marked rumpwhites are usually male too. In a way that's actually a bonus though, as they can pass their genes on to more babies than a doe ;)

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I'd far rather have a good buck as well,it's them that have the biggest influence.Does won't improve a line,to limited in how many youngsters they can produce.Hairless are the most buck heavy variety I have kept.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
very good point regards the stud buck ;) its just frustrating when your trying to increase the amount of mice you have and there is not enough females popping out :cry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.