Pet Mice Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two pregnant females together with one male. The first batch was born 4 days ago. The second batch was born today. And its hard to tell the 4 day old ones apart from the newly born today ones? Weird. I've bred mice many times and usually i see some kind of growth by the fourth day. Am I wrong? Do some baby mice have a slow growth? I know its not the diet i have them on because I know for a fact i give them the right nutrition and fats to be able to produce and nurse the young. Any one have any answers? Please? :(

-Kaleigh

·
Registered
110 Posts
How many babies were born in the first litter? If it was a large litter, they will grow slower than if it was a smaller litter, as there are more mouths to feed, and only so many nipples for them to nurse from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well it's kind of confusing to me..because I had two females and a male in a 10 gallon tank right. And my one female had babies. But by the time I found out the other female mouse was biting all of them...some of the pinkies were so chewed up that you couldn't tell how many there really were. But I took the non-nursing female out immediately (the one that was biting). And cleaned up the mess. I was so disappointed, but I ended up finding two babies that were not harmed ( no marks or bites or blood) I'm guessing all together there was about Five or Six. Which to me wasn't technically a large litter. So I've had these two pinkies and they were born on the 10th and now it is the 14th.I ended up adding my other pregnant female that turns out to be one of those real caring mother mice that immediately helped out with the two baby pinkies ( my male and mother female got along with her right away too). But Yesterday, in the morning they were there, and still looked like pink little babies with no change. I looked today and you still can't tell them apart from the ones that were just born yesterday. I don't know...I'm guessing they have some rare growth defect or maybe they are just going to take FOREVER to grow at all. I guess I'll know with the 7 that are with the 2 babies, that are from different mothers. See if they grow at all in the next four-five days. If not I'm going to be worried. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should see some change within four to five days right? at least changing color of the skin due to soon to be sprouting hair?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Can we have a update, i think your just worrying. Mice are truelly amazing creatures and these guys sound like they had a bad start, lack of milk etc. Now they are being fed by a new mother you should notice them growing and 4days is two early to see any pigment coming through.

Let us know what happens....

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Depending on the coloring, I can usually see pigment coming through at around 3 days. (usually my blacks) Otherwise around 5 days.
Most likey everything is fine, they just might be slower growing then others since they went through alot.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
You can definitely see pigment on day 3 because I can (and do) take out any selfs in rumpwhite litters based on this.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Yeah, ya never know with the mooskies; your problem sounds like lack of maternal care compounded by territoriality and power struggles in the group of does. I hate when pinkies get munched. If you try to breed the doe again, you should probably have her in a separate maternity tank. As far as lack of pigment and no signs of growth, first, they are probably just light colored types. You should be able to tell from day one in the eyes are black or pink, but as you haven't posted pix, none of us can really say.

Having unrelated pregnant does together can be problematic.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Cait :D :mrgreen: :lol: one is most offended at being called a trouble maker...... not :D:D

Tis true tho not all mice get pigment through at the same time, its been a while now so things should be ok now. Can we have pics soon?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Hey Sam, when I went out last night they had a cocktail called The Secret Garden... will stop hijacking the thread now :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well My mice seem to be doing better...I ended up with another litter. The ones that weren't growing or showing it anyway just disappeared from the tank. So I don't know about that one. But this litter i have now are doing fine. Their eyes are almost open now...Now that my pinkies arent an issue anymore...this post can be deleted. But i don't know how? :?:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MouseBreeder
I think I read somewhere that only certain people on here can delete certain posts? Well unless you guys like chatting in this one it can be deleted. I don't know how and I don't think I can. My mice are now doing fine. I think I'll put some pictures to show. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.