Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know which oens to cull generally speaking?
I heard something about the tail, but dont remember what.

I always cull the smallest ones, but thats all I know how to do.
How do you decide which others one to cull? (Not going based on colors,etc)

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Size and type if you're not counting colour. The thicker the tail the better. I was also advised that the mice with bigger whisker beds make bigger adults. I go on the width of the skull and broadness of the body. I cull down to 4, either 4 does or 3 does and 1 buck usually.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know some breeders do all or most of their culling when they are pinkies and thats what I would prefer to do.
Its harder for me to cull the older ones. So Im trying to do alot of my culling while they are young,but still not 100% sure what to look for in pet lines.
I know it will take along time,but Im hoping to get some better type mice from my current ones, but they are all pet type.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
The white mouse (a show mouse) has overall good type and size; the brindle (a petstore-derived mouse) does not.

You can see the differences pretty clearly in this picture. I took it last summer at a show.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Around twenty years or so from what I've gathered. Most of the good show mice these days have been worked on for decades, and if tracking was kept I would not be surprised if some of the modern original varieties (such as show red and show argente) trace their lineage directly back to Walter Maxey's day. In the last century England has exported show mice all over the world, and most of our show mice are related, whether distantly or closely.

If you bring in just one show mouse you can make some drastic improvements in just a couple years, but if you choose to work with only petstore-derived stock, it takes much longer.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Where in Missouri are you? I have a friend in Southern Illinois who has some show stock I just gave her a couple days ago. They're females and not old enough to breed yet but in a couple months they will be.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Wonderful! She lives in Belleville, which is about 30 minutes from St. Louis. :D

Her rodentry is Thasek Rodentry. I adopted two umbrous argente doves to her and I've adopted other mice in the past. She has a snake but breeds for show. When I first met her she bred for pets only and she was the first pet breeder I ever adopted to. She is a tremendous mouse person. Her mice just won Best Kitten at the recent ECMA show, actually. I really love her and cannot recommend her highly enough. She is the best mouse breeder in that part of the country, I think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.