Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to know I want to some day soon breed for tri colored mice. What colores do you breed together to get them? You'll have to put it into easy terms for me though I'm not yet aquainted with the terms for genetic's. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Tricolors theoretically can be produced in any color. You need the tri gene, usually called Splashed and two recessive c dilutes, one of which is NOT c (albino), so combos of c^e , c^h, c^ch, c, and then the last ingredient is some kind of white marking, which usually causes the colors to pool giving the distinctive tricolor pattern. Without a marking, or piebald, you usually get splashed individuals with splashing against a diluted background which may be white, or any other color.

It's kind of a weird thing, as Spl is dominant, but only shows when you have to two c locus recessives. If a mousie has the full color C, it will not show and splashed or tricolor patterns.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The secret is in the knowledge of genetics...to be worthy of a tricolored mouse one must first master the art of specific genetic combination :smartass1 :book2

Tricolor = piebald + splashed + c-dilution (except for c^c)

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Tri-colours can also be broken sable(Ay/at s/s U/*) from what Ive heard. These would be red, black, and white. Where as most in the US have tri's that are all splashed based, and thus are the base colour, the c-diluted form of the base, and then white.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Ah, the Holy Grail of mousedom. As I understand it, though, the sable tri or the mottled tri with the yellow and black pigments forming a calico, are both very unpredictable.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Physics have allowed two pigments, eumelanin (black,brown, blue, etc.)and phaeomelanin, (yellow, red, cream) to construct all the different oclors that we see in mousies.

Ain't science grand?! :ugeek:

·
Registered
623 Posts
moustress said:
Ah, the Holy Grail of mousedom. As I understand it, though, the sable tri or the mottled tri with the yellow and black pigments forming a calico, are both very unpredictable.
The sable tri , a sable with pied, will never be a true tri, as the darker pigments wil always be on the dorsal area of the mouse, lighter colours on the flanks. This will of course be a mouse with three patches of colour, but never all in the right areas. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The secret is in the knowledge of genetics...to be worthy of a tricolored mouse one must first master the art of specific genetic combination :smartass1 :book2

Tricolor = piebald + splashed + c-dilution (except for c^c)
I have been breeding mice for a year for my snake i had gotten a fancy male with a piebald tail an I bred him enough for a mouse to finally have genetic mutations N I produced a piebald bald male mouse!!! He was the runt of his litter so hes way smaller then his siblings but still so amazing 👏

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts