Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry so many pics, but i've got so many beautiful babies to show off :p

First up 4 little hairless babies

The hairless came from a litter of 8 and were removed after a female killed 4 of them, they were put to a surrogate mother who had a similarly aged litter, here they are...

altogether

Another mixed litter PEW's, broken and black tans

Some pinkies

A lovely litter of shiny satins

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More PEW, black tans, choc tans and broken

More pinkies

Some pinkies just minutes old, not even had first feed yet, these i have just put with a surrogate mother as their own mother was just abandoning them after birthing and had eaten a few too...

Two little brokens that are staying, a grey doe and a black satin buck

with some of their siblings, cousins, distant cousins etc

Couple of litters from hairless Doe's x stone satin normal Buck, doesn't look like any are hairless this time...

A litter from a Long coated 'grey' normal Doe x Banded hairless Buck

Babies from Naomi's Satin BEW buck, while hes here i put him with 3 doe's, PEW normal, PEW satin and BEW normal to see if i got anymore BEW satins...
4 satin PEW's but no BEW's...

Odd babies from next Doe, 2 appear to be hairless but the parents have no history of hairless whatsoever??? will have to wait and see what comes of those!

Last doe's pinkies, some black eyes there, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Don't mind lots of photos when they are that nice and fab quality! Very lovely babies you have there, that "silver" broken doe (what colour IS that!? maybe lilac as it has DE's!?) is stunning, lovely colour combo!

Vi x x x

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
violet1991 said:
Don't mind lots of photos when they are that nice and fab quality! Very lovely babies you have there, that "silver" broken doe (what colour IS that!? maybe lilac as it has DE's!?) is stunning, lovely colour combo!

Vi x x x
Which one Vi, the older doe near the beginning referred to as 'grey'? It's a blue broken if so.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just put grey because that whats colour it is, but not sure in mouse terms what colour it is exactly!

If its blue then thats fab, i have a few selfs and broken ones :) but i've not had one broken with patches like that and your right, its a lovely colour combination which is why i'm keeping her, and will no doubt breed from her :) i'm really getting into breeding brokens and producing them in lovely colours!

I thought blues were very solid though? well the pics i've seen are, mine have ticked fur, blue with white/silver tips to it, i thought it may be something else....?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
If they're not selectively bred for colour blues get what is known as heathering, which gives the appearance you describe. I believe it's allowed in rats but it's considered a fairly big fault in mice.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
No, silver grey, silver brown and silver fawn are standardised in the UK, but they are black, agouti and fawn with the silvered gene. It's not a common gene though and there aren't many breeders of them. Most of the time people have mice that appear similar to silvered it can be attributed to brindling of white hairs into coloured areas (a fault), old age, injury or something else. In the case of a blue then I'd definitely say heathering was the most likely.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I love how some of the chocolate broken satins have a carmel color ears... ADORABLE

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never going to get my head around this genetic stuff! :roll:

If i bred from my blues that have this ticked fur, is it possible i could produce them in a more solid blue, or will the ticking just keep being passed down?

Would i need a more solid mouse to breed from to stand a chance of getting decent coloured young?

are these all considered as Heathered Blues in different shades, they came from the same litter....or is one something else...

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Selective breeding is the key to getting the even blue colour along with the correct coloured feet, toenails and ears which always become pale in non selectively bred blues (and even show ones). But if you wanted to try and show blues you'd have to start with new stock, you wouldn't be able to bring the ones in the photos up to show standard (sorry!). Another problem with blues is that they suffer from tan vents, as with a lot of selfs - again if not selectively bred this tan can 'creep' behind the ears and up the flanks.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah i know i wouldn't get show standard from my stock, theres no way to produce to correct proportions from what i've got, i just wondered if i could get a good colour from what i have.

Its no biggie, i'm not breeding show stock at the moment, i only have a self black and a satin fawn that are anywhere near show standard (apart from slight faults) but the black doe hasn't produced me a litter in the 2-3 months i've had her anyway :(

·
Registered
584 Posts
MouseBreeder said:
If they're not selectively bred for colour blues get what is known as heathering, which gives the appearance you describe. I believe it's allowed in rats but it's considered a fairly big fault in mice.
Only in russian blue (and colours that include russian blue, like russian silver), where the heathering and short dense coat are part of the standard ;) British blues have to be an even and solid colour down to the skin, no heathering allowed :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some pics of the hairless carrier x hairless litter now they've developed colour, and i can also say that the larger amount have turned out hairless which i'm chuffed about, not had any from the girls in previous litter, proves they are carriers now, dead happy with the result :D

2 carrier agouti banded

1 normal blue mis-mark banded

3 normal mixed shades light young, mis-mark banded

and the hairless young

little agouti

The parents!
This is one of the females, but none of these young are hers, she is pregnant at the moment though and always produces 100% as the male is hairless :)

agouti broken female hairless carrier, one mum

an other mum, not entirely sure on colour but in the flesh she looks poor blue, but almost brown in pics...

and the buck, hes a fuzzy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts