Pet Mice Forum banner

What would the mouse dove be called in rats?

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  PPVallhunds 
#1 ·
In a pair of litters we have black, blue, agouti, silver fawn and some pink eyed non agouti. There are two shades of the pink eyed non agouti so I'm assuming some are pink eyed black and some pink eyed blue.
Been looking at the rat club page and it has the pe blue as powder blue but under champain it has the code for pe black as well as pe choc. But they look the dove Gray colour not the yellowish colour of champain which isn't what they call for for that standard.

#2 ·
PPVallhunds said:
Been looking at the rat club page and it has the pe blue as powder blue but under champain it has the code for pe black as well as pe choc. But they look the dove Gray colour not the yellowish colour of champain which isn't what they call for for that standard.
Champagne rats can genetically be pink eyed black or pink eyed chocolate. A black base is the most basic, but chocolate-based ones often do better on the show bench as they're nearer what the standard calls for. The standard is written for the ideal show rat colour, rather than saying those genetic combinations only result in that shade. In reality they come in a lot of different shades/ tones of colour depending on their total genetic makeup and what's been selected for. And that can be further exacerbated by photo ID tech like photo quality and monitor settings.
Hawthorn Rat Varieties explains things quite nicely: http://ratvarieties.com/type/champagne/

From your description of others in the litter Champagne sounds most likely. But they could be blue-based too if that's in the mix (not all genetic combinations match standardised varieties). Do you have Russian or British blue?

#3 ·
Thank you I'm guessing some of the pink eyed are blue based as well as black.
Reading the description for Russian blue, British blue and powder blue I'd say it's not the Russian one but somewhere between the British and powder blue as of course being a pet mix bred litters I'd expect their coloirs to be crap like you get with the fancy mice.
I'll have to take some photos when I have them out on Monday, cute little things, not as outgoing as the rat litter I had years ago though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.