Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what varieties usually win BIS in the UK? Is it PEW? I know that over here (the US), it depends because our shows are so small there may not be many PEWs entered. At the last show I went to, a splashed mouse actually won BIS.

I've heard that in the UK it's hard to compete with the big, showy PEWs. So do they usually win?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Selfs are probably the most common winner of BIS but not always PEW - creams, blacks and to a lesser extent champagnes and silvers get a look in too. The paler self coloured satins also do well. Black and chocolate tan occasionally get high honours as do siamese and a few other AOVs. It all depends on what is 'popular' and therefore more common and being worked on. Marked rarely win BIS or BOA, but it does happen.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black wins? I would never have thought that. Over here, black is hard to breed to standard in terms of getting rid of yellow vent hairs, ears, etc., while at the same time maintaining type. Also, blacks seem to be smaller than all other varieties, which doesn't help on the show table...

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Blacks here are smaller too but they are bred by quite a few people and have been rigourously selected so that a white toenail or the odd tan hair will mean they don't even place in a class. They seem to have remained popular throughout the time I have been showing (since 2002).

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I need to get my beehind to a show soon, even though I can't show myself yet. I've always wanted to see an a(e) mouse in real life... I'm so used to the standard blacks that pop up in my outcross litters, though cute, are full of tan hairs! lol
I would love to have a look at some excellent show mice!

Willow xx

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
An extreme black mouse has to be seen to be believed. If you've never seen one it's almost possible to convey the estent of how black a mousie can be. Pictures can show it, but to hold one in your hand is a big 'wow'.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a show breeder tell me once that the extreme blacks in the UK are also homozygous umbrous and that the extreme blacks in the US usually aren't. I don't know how true that statement is, but it would make sense as to why the UK show blacks are just a little bit darker than even the darkest US extreme blacks.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Are show blacks mellow? Cos all my blacks... mental!! I handle them the same as all my other mice, my PEW's are mellow as anything, especially the males, but my blacks are just so hyper!! I figured the colour contributed to that.

Willow xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think lilacs would be one of those varieties with good potential since they're so light.

Is the reason that varieties like agouti or brindle don't win often due to them being harder to breed to standard? I've bred both (American brindle) and I've found that it's a lot easier to breed PEWs to standard than agoutis or brindle. :p

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Selfs in general are more consistent per litter; even if not all are winners, a higher proportion should be showable. Shades like lilac and dove are more open to interpretation than white or black, for example. They also have faults a white doesn't, for example a dove suffers from light nose and tail root when a PEW doesn't. Agoutis can and have won top honours btw :)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That makes me happy for agoutis!

My biggest problem with them is trying to improve type (specifically ear set and head shape) while keeping reasonably even ticking. It could be just that ones I'm working with, but it seems that as soon as I get the head shape going in the right direction, all the ticking is concentrated on the back! It's very frustrating. That, and pink toes! :p

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WillowDragon said:
The standards for Dove and Lilac are so vague, the ideal shade would vary according to different people and different judges I would imagine?

Willow xx
It varies in the US for sure. Champagne, too. I once heard a judge talking to somebody else about how champagne should be the color of...and I interrupted her and said, "champagne?" :p

You can see how non-specific that is. :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts