Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand genetics at all.
But I mated a long haired white broken with grey spots with a viable yellow uhh brindle.
I do believe.
What should the babies look like?

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's really very difficult to determine what babies you would get without information on what other varieties are in each mouse's background. It would also be a good idea to tell what varieties the parents would be. It sounds like you mean the buck is black/blue broken/variegated long haired/angora, and the doe is a recessive yellow brindle (those are common) or an RY with general "sooty"ness to her. Perhaps she is a sable... if you are unsure of their coloring, then it is darn near impossible to guess. ;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
The thing with genetics is family history is key in figuring things out. If you get your mice from a pet shop ,like I ended up doing, the best way to find out what is in there backround is through test breeding. Your doe being a resesive yellow brindle tells you that her parents both had the yellow brindle gene unfortunatly you don't know if they only had that gene or if they had a domonat gene with it. Hope I havn't confused you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts