Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
She's not lilac. Does she have a noise point? It's hard to tell from the picture.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I have to do test testing to see, what color buck would be best?

I have:
-Chocolate
-Black
-Brindle
-Lilac

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
It depends what you're trying to figure out. If any of them carry any C-dilutes and she's a mock chocolate, you'll get various mixtures of C-diluted mice.

If she's chocolate and you breed her to chocolate, you should get 100% chocolate babies. Otherwise, you know she's not chocolate!

Do I know the woman who sold you a petstore mouse? I bet I do. *sigh*

·
Registered
94 Posts
*sigh* Jack, that lady is me, and I did not sell her, she was adopted. I never told Windy I had bred her, and it would have been impssible for me too, as I have never bred. Zizou was adopted from a local petstore that Windy had me get some mice from, due to the fact that she lives so far away and they had merles. I drove 1 hour to drop them off, but before I came, I told her about Zizou, my bully nanny. I did not have a freind for her, but Windy informed me that she also had a bully. I asked if she wouldn't mind trying Zizou out, and if she didn't work out, I would come pick her back up. I told her that Zizou did have decent type, but not that I knew her genotype, as I do not. I was guessing she was mock chocolate or light mock, but it was a guess. I never stated that she was lilac, because she never looked lilac (US dove) to me at all, I am not sure who told you she was. When I saw on Windy's website that she listed Zizou as lilac, I PMed her on another site and informed her that she was chocolate, or mock chocolate. I look forward to seeing the outcome of the test breed to see what her genotype is. I am glad to hear that she has friends up north, but I feel injured by the claim that I 'sold' a mouse that I bought, when in reality I bought several mice to give to Windy, including travel cages (homemade) and I never made the claim that I bred her. I wish this accusation had been sorted out in a private message before it was posted to the world at large, it would have saved a lot of heartache.

Windy: If you felt mislead I am sorry. I would be happy to come get Zizou if you feel shorted in anyway. I only wanted her to have a good home, not pass her off on you. I am sure one of my new adopted girls could be a good match for her. Please let me know.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
That mouse has poor type, actually. Don't get me wrong: she's very cute, but her type is not "decent." (Her head is narrow and pinched, her body is short and cobby, her ears are set odd, her eyes are tiny, her feet are pink, her tail is very thin and I'd imagine poorly sat on, etc). Pet store mice don't have decent type, generally, because they're not bred properly. To be clear, saying a mouse has poor type is not a value judgment against its qualities as a pet. A mouse can have poor type and be an excellent pet.

Something that hasn't been brought up as to her phenotype: she might be molting, which might cause the appearance of points.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No, I meant good type for a pet store mouse...not a show mouse, or even a poor show mouse, but she is larger and has a thicker tail, and larger ears. All the mice around here are pet stores and feeders, but it is a starting point- right? The only way to get mice with really good type is to first get mice with better type then the ones you have and breeding the pups with better type then the parents. :) That is what I meant, I sometimes forget that other people have access to show mice. Around here there are no shows, so I have never seen a show mouse in RL, so I could not tell you just how poor her type is, but it was the best type of my pet shoppers, so I based that statement off that fact. As for her 'points', I had wondered about that myself, but thought it might be a coat quality, as she was also my only satin, and I thought the fur might look like that on a satin. She had always looked like that.

On a side note: I hope I was not the lady you were thinking of, as we have never meet before, and I would like to think that I do not pass off that bad in my posts.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Nope it wasn't you! I must say that! It was another unfortunate person. :p

You're near St. Louis, right? I may be coming out there in August to visit Washington University. Woo woo!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thats good to know. :) It would be nice to meet you if you do! Maybe you could bring me out a mouse? ;) I am on a wait list for a tri out there (east coast).

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I try to take mice everywhere I go. lol

A lot of folks have true tricolors (marked splashed)...but I'm not one of them. I used to have a couple but I gave them up because they're too hard to breed to standard. I don't keep any marked varieties at all. :p

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry neurozool! I forgot she came from you, I was thinking she was the doe I picked up from another lady I met a few days later. Ive been so out of it lately.
I was just thinking you were messenging me about Zizou for some reason.
I am so sorry!! I feel so dumb now.
I met a lady a few days after I met you and got a few does, none were what they were suppose to be and for some reason I lumped Zizou in with them.
Ive been so busy lately and everything has been a mess.
I wasnt trying to attack you or make you seem bad.
Sorry for the misunderstanding :oops:

Zizou is doing well with the other 2 does I have her in with.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jack: yes I do want marked splashed tri's and was thinking of trying to breed some myself with mock chocolates...or another c-dilute, not really sure yet..but there is a breeder out your way who has nice tri's (I'm on that list) maybe if she has a litter around the time you will be out here, she/he can hitch a ride!

As a side note- broken blue merles make cool tri's as well!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Jenny? She has the best tricolors I've ever seen personally. It's a shame that she judges, or else she could show more often! :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
Since I have seen her in person, and know where she came from (feeder breeder) I am sticking to what I originally thought, Light mock chocolate, but a poor example, which accounts for the 'points'.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im leaning towards mock chocolate as well.
Im planning on breeding her to my chocolate buck

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
She could be a lot of things, but she looks burmese to me with that nose point. I think burmese is called sable siamese in America. It's a/a c(ch)/c(cch) anyway, one siamese gene and one chinchilla gene on a black base. I have a lovely rich chocolate-coloured abyssinian mouse who is a/a c/c(ch) with one chinchilla gene and one albino gene. Whatever she is I'd say it was definitely a c-locus gene at work; these can result in various shades of brown.

For test breeding purposes, breeding to a c-locus mouse (siamese, PEW, chinchilla etc) would enable you to tell in the first generation what genes she has. Breeding to a mouse that doesn't carry c-locus genes will result in black babies.

Sarah xxx

1 - 20 of 24 Posts