Pet Mice Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mixed flakes/Barley in place of both the rabbit mix and the oats, or the flakes plus the oats? I breed cats so always have kitten kibble around, but thought it was too high in protein????

Just tried my lot on freshly popped corn, seems to have gone down very well!

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Daisy: I'll be honest I have no idea. They don't require any soaking for mice though, just mixed in with the other dry stuff. I'm sure any good quality barley would be fine, mine is rolled and micronized I believe :roll:

Paul: Oats AND barley AND mixed flake in my case, along with bird seed and 2 types of dog food. I don't use kitten stuff because as you say it's very high in protein.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've found the easiest barley to use is flaked barley - you can get it from Holland and Barretts or any other health food shop and doesn't need anything doing to it. H&B also do fresh hemp, which my mice love in small quantities...

·
Registered
982 Posts
[email protected] Gerbil/Mouse Muslei
Harry Hamster Muslei
Reggie Rat
[email protected] Robin Blend
Dried Mealworms
Dried Dandilions
ReadiGrass
Puppy / Kitten Kibble

Extras include the Milk Bonios, sunflower seeds and hearts, egg biscuits (for birds) and millet and (like most people on here) as I have loads of animals they get almost anything else lying around, within reason ;)

The only thing I've found they avoid are shop bought "hamster" treat sticks, none of mine will even go near them!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is there not a comercial mix that can be bought ready prepared that is high enough quality ?
Or im thinking of weaning them onto my rats mix it contains

Un-molassed pasture mix (horse mix)
Bite size shredded wheats
low sugar cornflakes
Sometime's tiny (dried) pasta shells

Does this look suitable at all ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine have oats, sunflower hearts and linseed, or sometimes I buy "omega mix" seeds to mix. I buy all this from Julian Graves or Holland and Barrett. I sometimes mix in Wild Bird Seed or some PAH mouse & gerbil mix, but mainly they have just the oats and seeds. On top of this they have bread, I feed my bread dry.

I suppose when I have enough mice I will buy my oats in a sack, I just don't have enough to warrant it at the moment. My shed attracts enough wild mice as it is :roll:

·
Registered
163 Posts
oh yes sorry I forgot to add they get the same table scraps as the rats and get chicken bones and fruit and veg scraps and stuff, but that is not their staple diet. I tend to only add dog kibble to the mix on mums and babies on a daily basis, but I guess that is because that is how I feed the rats. It is not good to feed adult rats protein in this way, it leads to kidney disease

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've always made up my own mixes to go along with the lab pellets, because commercial ones just don't suit my needs. My mice also get good quality timothy or oat hay, for bedding and chewing fun.

Basic Mix:
Rolled oats
Mutigrain flakes cereal (vitamin fortified)
Puffed brown rice
Flaked barley
Puffed quinoa
Birdseed mix (without sunflower seeds)
Flaxseed
High quality low protein dog kibble (I use a rice/chicken weight management formula, for preg/nursing does)

For treats, I give my mice chicken bones, homemade bread, in shell nuts, dog biscuits, fruits and veggies, dog bones, millet sprays, cooked/raw pasta, dried fruit, and tasty herbs from my window boxes. I also give bread soaked in chicken broth and warm baby oatmeal cereal.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts