Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Commercially prepared rodent pellets. Sometimes they get rice, bread, vegetables, etc, but the pellets are the staple, making up around 80-90% of the diet. The foods sold in pet shops over here are absolute garbage and make your rodents unhealthy. Most of the lab style pellets are good.

The rats don't get rice, but sometimes they get vegetables and bread, and if they're lucky they get insects (which I breed primarily for my lizards and to sell to bird, lizard and amphibian keepers).

·
Registered
721 Posts
Mine tend to get what I can get at the time but mainly Rabbit mix with Rat and mouse food with some dog mixer biscuits and some sprigs of millet. They also get dog biscuits too help file their teeth down, they get scrambled egg rarely but when they have it they love it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Big mix, in descending order of volume:

[email protected] gerbil and mouse 'muesli'
Rolled oats
Wild bird seed
Flaked barley
Kitten kibble
Linseed
Sunflower seeds

...mixed with powdered lactol. Then salad, baby corn, millet, random seed bunches from the 'Naturals' range...OH says they get better food than he does... ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
a bit of everything. I keep lots of animals so they get parrot seedmix, bonios, cat biscuits occasionally. Last night they had a bit of my home made pumpkin muffins, a piece of butternut squash and a brazil nut.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The price of feed is going up dramatically here. It has about doubled over the last couple of years and over the last few months has increased by a further 50% or so. It's now well over $1/kg (which adds up when you're buying 100kg at a time), so we're looking for alternatives such as chicken or dog feed pellets. These are of the same quality and similar nutritional value, but are produced in larger quantities due to the demand, making them cheaper.

We still use rice, a range of vegetables, milk thistles, bread and other feed to supplement the staple diet.

·
Registered
523 Posts
We vary our foods. The only things we always include are a rat mix, bird seed and oats as a base

We also use
Millet
Rice
Bran flakes
Shelled hemp
100 percent wheat or corn cereals
Porridge made with rice milk
Pasta
Veggies-Peas, sweetcorn, pepper, carrots, broccoli, lettuce etc
Fruits-small bits of apple once a week
Seeds including pumpkin, linseed and sunflower
Naturals foods like their herbal stuff
Mealworms (very occasionally and for our nursing doe)
Little bits of toast (rare treat)
Peanuts

And whatever other mouse friendly stuff we happen to have:)

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Their main mix is;

1kg [email protected] rat mix
1kg Petshop Hamster mix
A bag of naturals treats of some kind
Two or Three good handfuls of Mealie Worms
250g Honey Dipped Banana Chips

And then I add to that whatever of the following I have hanging about the kitchen;
Raisins
Cranberries (dried)
Raw Cashew Kernels

Along with that they often get fresh veg, and sometimes something really naughty like porridge oats or dog biscuits. But I think its probably unbalanced on the protein side of things, so I'm re thinking at the moment. Oh, and all hamster mixes I use have all of the peanuts and sunflower seeds taken out (painstakingly) by hand. There are enough sunflower seeds in the rat mix.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I used to feed a food with commercial rat food as a base, but it became too expensive so I have reduced down to a more cost effective home mix and I havent noticed any difference in the mices condition. Now the base is oats and wild bird seed and for protein they have kibble, mostly specific kitten or puppy ones as it suggests it has extra vitamins etc for growth. They may also have bonio biscuits and recently I have found bonio 'milk' biscuits for puppies and they love them.

Nursing does and babies get huge amounts of lactol to try to give them the best start but I think the effects are seriously limited by genetics although sometimes some great mice have developed form nothing and I have put that down to lactol.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
At the moment I have (what feels like) hundreds of babies so I am being a bit lazy and mixing it in dry with their food mix. Although when I have more time I will make it up into a liquid and leave some bread or oats to soak it up, or even some dog biscuits. Some groups of does love it and will eat it all as soon as its put in but others leave bits so its important to clear it away the next morning.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yeah I just sprinkle it on the food or mix it in with the mix if I've got loads of litters. They definately eat it, the babies are generally covered in white powder and I always have to double check its nothing to do with mites!

·
Registered
341 Posts
i have been experimenting quite a bit with my mix at the moment as im fed up with waste...

i generally have on the go:

in order of quantity most to less

oats
allen and page rabbit mix
wild bird seed
protein - in the form of kitten kibbles usually

have been trying out layers pellets recently but they dont seem to like them at all, i'm also on the hunt for something cheaper than kitten kibbles but good enough quality....

have tried pregnant and nursing does on this mix i found in the supermarket mad by bill oddie i think for birds, a peanut and meal worm crumble, sounded pretty tasty for them

have tubs of sunflower seeds and linseeds for an extra boost every now and again, also feed lactol to mummas,

want to faze out the rabbit mix as most of it gets left, they seem to like the big orange carroty bits the most.. no where near here seems to sell ingrediants seperatley :(

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
If you have a horse supply shop you should be able to buy barley and/or mixed flake in big sacks. I swapped these for the rabbit food and it seems to be just as good. If I wasn't allergic I'd give them hay too :lol:

·
Registered
341 Posts
what brand do you use cait? i used to feed my horses barley in a mash form that had to be soaked... oats and barley arent things i feed my horses these days so im not that up to speed on a decent brand

1 - 20 of 35 Posts