Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious as to the technical name of this mouse's colour.

Here is the litters she came from (out of two sisters)

And her parents:
Her dam is either one of these, both broken blacks

And her sire, broken pale yellow

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Is "cute" a color? :D

She is a broken American brindle, which means that her father is a PE-brindle. Were there blues in her litter? Blue can make the yellow parts of a brindle a light creamy color, which is why I ask...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sire of the litter doesn't appear to be brindle, but his dam was brindle, so I'm guessing he's either a carrier or it's hidden by his colour.. At least in horses, dilutions can "hide" other traits, so I'm guessing that might have happened with him.. Am I completely wrong here? All 11 babies are broken. In total there were 3 blues, two darker brindles, two blacks, one chocolate, the one female I posted the picture of at the start, and two that were mostly white so it is hard to tell what they are.

So you're saying she's blue and yellow brindle, as opposed to her darker brothers, which would be black and orange? Here's the two dark brindles from the same litter:

He almost looks agouti, but you could see his distinct stripes when his fur was coming in

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the sire is some type of dilute yellow.. He is a very pale broken yellow, with pink eyes. I edited the saturation and contrast in the following picture so you can see his distinct white patch on his back.. He also has a bald face but it's hard to tell in this picture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.