Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The parents were a brindle and a fawn.
I have 4 that are these color(though the fawn color varies on them all)
At first I thought they were agouti, but then once they reall got their color in, I was sure.
They look fawn, expect for towards the tail, its much darker on the tips.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
It looks to be an umbrous yellow, but it may be brindle. Be prepared to see amazing changes as they molt and acquire new and weird patterns of shaded areas. I bought a young mousie that looked something like this and was surprised and a little appalled to see it change on an almost weekly basis. These four have black eyes, don't they? If this one is a black eyed fawn, called red in this forum, the umbrous shading will may very well fade as it grows older.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have 3 litter mates that are clearly brindles and 1 that Im not sure what to call. its looks solid fawn expect for 1 black mark on its back.
All have black eyes(the mom is pink eyed though)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I think that's just a sooty yellow, not umbrous. Sootineess like this is very, very common on petstore-derived recessive yellows and brindles (though I couldn't tell you why). Like moustress said, sootiness can change drastically with each molt but real umbrous does not. Umbrous is much darker and more solid in color and extends more-or-less all the way down the back (almost like a hooded rat's markings). Real umbrous is not very common in the US.

Umbrous shows up primarily on agouti or agouti-based animals.

I have some umbrous agoutis I will take pictures of tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Here are two umbrous mice, both babies. One is heterozygous agouti, heterozygous umbrous (A/a U/u) and one is the PE-dilute version of that.

Because real umbrous modifies the dominance of A over a, the "A" along the dorsum reverts back to "a."

As you can see, they have ok type. But their color is a monstrosity. :roll: I keep them around trying to get rid of umbrous, and it just doesn't happen, due to the way that homozygous agouti (A/A) or homozygous non-agouti (a/a) can hide umbrous. You only know it's there on animals who are heterozygous Agouti (A/a). :x

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Yep, they could. Sootiness appears in red/yellow and brindle. But they wouldn't necessarily have to be Avy/Avy. They could be Avy/A, Avy/a, etc. If I remember right, you sometimes get agoutis from your brindles, right? Then some of them are Avy/A.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
They're one of two things:

unmarked sooty brindles

or

sooty recessive yellows

Either way, they're really cute. :)

As babies, when the dark tips of the hairs come in, they really do resemble agouti.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cant decide out of this litter who Im keeping, they are all so cute! Usually I have no problem deciding who Im keeping,but its hard this time.
I figured I would have some agouti in this litter, so when I seen the dark tips coming in, I just assumed agouti, but I was wrong.
Im happy with them either being unmarked sooty brindles or sooty recessive yellows

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had some sooty unmarked brindles and some sooty RYs in this litter.
The brindles I kept are turning out to be sooty as heck. They had cleanish lines when younger,but now they are very sooty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.