Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Is he Burmese ? (I know it doesn't show very well on the pics, but he is also satin)..

She is chocolate, right ?

And this girl here, what color is she ?

Hope someone can help :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
The top two mice look chocolate to me. The bottom looks like a sable, but with a dilution gene of some kind which means it looks different to the standardised show sables.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer :)

I don't think Joshva, (the one in the top), is chocolate, I bred him with the chocolate female (in the middle), and got these babies:

I have been told they are all Burmese ?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Can burmese mice come in other colours? (not necessarily standardised, just are they genetically possible?) Those mice all look different shades on this computer, some are more grey and a bit like the russian blue burmese rats, while others look like the normal brown burmese. Although I guess it is always very difficult to get a true shade in a photograph of a satin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took some new pics of some of the babies, and tried to get the colours more correct, I think I got the right shade on the pics now :)

She is probably a bit darker, she is also white behind the ears, she is the darkest one in the litter

And this pic, the one with white on him, has a different shade than the other babies, I'm not sure if you can see it?

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
We don't have burmese over hear,hence the lack of response I would think.I can't tell you what they are.To me they look chocolate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sarahc said:
We don't have burmese over hear,hence the lack of response I would think.I can't tell you what they are.To me they look chocolate.
I just got an email from the breeder of their parents, and she also says they are chocolate, but very light because they have chincilla in their pedigree... So now I am really confused, 3 breeders have said they are Burmese, and one have said they are chocolate, and now you also say they look like chocolate :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, that is correct Mari :)

I now know that the males parents is Chinchilla and Red, so I guess he IS chocolate and not Burmese, (that is great for me, since I don't want to breed Burmese) :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Father & babies look like burmeses to me. About having chinchilla in their pedigree: it is of course possible for a chocolate to have chinchilla genes, or even a burmese to have chocolate dilution! Another genotype that makes brownish mice is a/a c^ch/c. :mrgreen: I have never bred any pointed varieties (except gerbils...), so I really have no hands on experience with them, so I would not say for certain.

The girl in your first post is blue (or lilac) sable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oca2 said:
Father & babies look like burmeses to me. About having chinchilla in their pedigree: it is of course possible for a chocolate to have chinchilla genes, or even a burmese to have chocolate dilution! Another genotype that makes brownish mice is a/a c^ch/c. :mrgreen: I have never bred any pointed varieties (except gerbils...), so I really have no hands on experience with them, so I would not say for certain.
Can you recommend anything I should breed the male with, to find out, 100% if he is Burmese or chocolate ? Can he be Burmese even if none of his parents is Burmese/Siamese ?

The girl in your first post is blue (or lilac) sable.
Again, what should I breed her with, to find out what color she is ? :)
Thank you so much for your answer :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Natashia said:
Can you recommend anything I should breed the male with, to find out, 100% if he is Burmese or chocolate ?
1) Chocolate: any blacks and you'll know he wasn't a chocolate; or 2) siamese: any blacks and you'll know he wasn't a burmese. Of course neither of these crosses alone can eliminate the possibility that he is both. ;)

Natashia said:
Can he be Burmese even if none of his parents is Burmese/Siamese ?
Yes.

Natashia said:
Again, what should I breed her with, to find out what color she is ? :)
I think she is obviously homozygous for blue dilution, so what you would be trying to find out is wether she is homozygous for chocolate dilution as well. For that purpose, any male homozygous for chocolate dilution would do: if you get any non-chocolate babies, you'll know the mum was not a chocolate (or lilac in this case). The best cross would be lilac tan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So he could be a chocolate burmese ?? OMG, it's getting more and more complicated :lol: I did breed him with a chocolate, and there were no blacks, (there are pics of the offsprings on the first page).. I will try and breed him with a siamese, I actually have female that is ready to be bred now :)

Thanks for all your help :mrgreen:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Natashia said:
So he could be a chocolate burmese ?? OMG, it's getting more and more complicated :lol:
I was just tossing ideas in the air, but it is always a possibility. :mrgreen:

Natashia said:
I did breed him with a chocolate, and there were no blacks, (there are pics of the offsprings on the first page).
My mistake. :oops:

Natashia said:
I will try and breed him with a siamese, I actually have female that is ready to be bred now :)
If he is burmese, you'll get 50% burmese and 50% siamese. And if he is something else, I think you'll still find out by sorting out the babies.

I see you took this question to Hiirifoorumi, which is good; Rapunzel if anyone should be able to sort him out for you. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts