Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if someone could help me out finding the colors of these mice.
The first image is of my brown mouse. It's not agouti, I know that much and the color is much darker and richer without the lamp lights next to them. I'm thinking it could be chocolate.

The second one is kind of mucky/sandy and kind of dark with some black hairs mixed in the hair.

The third mouse is A somewhat darker or duller color than the one below.

This one is really bright colored and creamy... I think he is the son of the one above.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
His eyes and fur tell a different story. I don't mean to offend, that is not me, I'm just telling you what I see. And i've seen enough sick mice in my time to know he doesn't look right.

W xx

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is doing fine. I see him run, eat, and drink just as a normal mouse should. His fur is roughed up from his sleep. His eyes were only like that for a slight moment, coincidentally, it was when I took the picture. (Go figure) I think I would know too, seeing as I've had him for 4months+ not without keeping a close eye on him and the others. He is healthy.

Do you have any guesses regarding their colors? Even wild guesses are a good start.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Some chronic ailments can last for months. The fur is rough, the eyes are not clear and the skin color on the front paws in way too red. Are you by any chance using pine or cedar bedding? The coat looks bunched up in several places in a way that looks like there's something wrong at the root, like parasites, mites, or mange of some sort.

Don't mean to make you feel picked on

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly I'm really sure he's okay. It's just the picture and the lighting (I had two lamps sitting right next to him while I took the pictures with a webcam so the quality is very bad and blurry. He is bright eyed and well groomed like the other mice except when I want a pic of him. I'm using Aspen shavings.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
One of my bucks looked like that, and he was well and healthy appart from having a lice infestation. It'll be worth looking in to it, as infestations can kill mice! Get some small mammal parasite killer if he does have some.
when i first started keeping mice i shrugged it off and my male died, since then i've never thought twice about leaving it.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Judging by the pics (sorry if i'm wrong, i litrally just woke up haha)

1st Mouse-Champagne Self (but very lightly coloured)
2nd Mouse-Chocolate Self. May be a poor tan but i need a pic of her belly/side
3rd Mouse-Dove Self
4th Mouse- Don't know so well, but maby chinchilla or silvered agouti?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Hmm I see how the first one could be a Champagne... What do you mean by "but very lightly colored"? Is that bad?

The 2nd one has no Tan belly so I'm going to say it's a chocolate self or mock chocolate.

I could also see how the 3rd one could be dove, but from what I'm seeing on most sites the dove color is more greyish.

The 4th one is what really has me confused.. her hair kind of looks like it is an old piece of dry, grey tree bark.. or ashy colored...

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
The champagne should be more of a richer colour, your mouse is quite yellow, bt still has the warm hue.

The chocolate is a rich colour, but it lacking a bit in the depth. Wouldn't say it was a mock.

And i would place my money on your 3rd being a dove. My doves look like that, still a fairly warm grey colour. Does it have champagne fur behind it's ears? (my boy does haha, very cute!)

for your 4th, could you get a clear, focused picture of the coat? may make easier to ID :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
megzilla92 said:
The champagne should be more of a richer colour, your mouse is quite yellow, bt still has the warm hue.

The chocolate is a rich colour, but it lacking a bit in the depth. Wouldn't say it was a mock.

And i would place my money on your 3rd being a dove. My doves look like that, still a fairly warm grey colour. Does it have champagne fur behind it's ears? (my boy does haha, very cute!)

for your 4th, could you get a clear, focused picture of the coat? may make easier to ID :p
The champagne which might be hard to see in the pics is very creamy! Is that normal for a champagne to look like that? I would say the color in person is very rich, but maybe you have a different definition than I do.

Hmm I guess you're right about the chocolate. I'm not even sure how he came about... He was the only chocolate to come out. When he was a baby he was really shiny, I thought he was a satin chocolate, since his mother might have been satin or a satin carrier.

I haven't really looked behind the ears. I could look later when he is awake. I still don't think it's a dove. Maybe it's the picture. He's not really grey... I would say it's a softer colored version of the champagne.

I'll take a pic soon of the 4th mouse. She definitely is a different looking mouser than I've ever seen. She has a long body structure, delicate feminine facial features, and big wide black eyes. Looking at her right now she is like when I said she looks ashy or like greyish tree bark, maybe with a little brown behind that color, or bronze.... it's very wierd. She also stands on her hind legs a lot like a meerkat it's so cute!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.