Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
It should be only the buck that smells, and being with/near does will increase that. Some people swear by real vanilla or chlorophyll in the water, but tbh there isn't much that is very effective. Male mice smell - it has to be accepted if you're going to keep them. You could always keep the buck in your garage and just the does in your room.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
There were some big bags of popcorn at work today as we were launching a TV ad and the first thing I did when I entered our department was frown - when asked why I said that I have just realised that popcorn smells like mice :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Yes! I have noted that young bucks smell like freshly popped popcorn. Older bucks don't smell nearly as nice. Does have a mousey odor as well, but I find it can be minimized by not having a lot of plastic junk in the cage. Not that that stops me from giving them lots of toys and stuff; I've gotten used to the smell. There are distinctive smells to different types of populations of meeces; tanks with nursing young have the distinctive baby poop smell, and if you smell that smell without having any babies, it probably means you have a sick mousie.

I have several mesh bags full of zeolite that absorb ammonia and that helps somewhat. It's made for kennels and catteries, and can be recharged every few weeks by leaving it in the sun for a day. Mousie odor does tend to hang on in clothing, hair, and paper items, something I'm embarrassed to say I didn't notice until I took a trip out of town. Everything in my suitcase had a weird odor, and I couldn't figure out what it was. Now I keep items use in the mousery away from things I might use outside the house.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One thing you can do to help with the smell if you are determined to keep them in the house is a couple drops of real vanilla or lavender essential oil diffused with water, you can put it in a mist bottle and mist down everything mouse related, not soak, just lightly mist. It helps to "cover" the smell. You will still have the smell in everything that shares the same airspace tho.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Tea candles in a well shielded holder work pretty well too. I think it burns off the more volatile elements of the stink. Have to careful with it, though...my mom would have had a hissy fit if I burned candles in my room. I suppose scented votive candles would do as well, although I am too fussy about artificial scents, and too cheap to buy the good ones except for special occasions. (Like when I propitiate my parking goddess.)

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
SarahY said:
It does a great job of removing the smell of our dogs from the carpets, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

ETA: I too love the smell of mice. What a crazy bunch we all are :lol:

Sarah xxx
Hey Sarah, you have Sparty's brother... does he REALLY smell too? hehehe Might be a family thing.

W xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I've found that my show mice smell less than the petstore mice I've met. I'm not sure why this is, but I suspect it's related to the much-lessened male aggression in the show mice which might correlate to a lower testosterone level in the males. It would make sense, I think, since some (not all) show males can live together perfectly fine.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Jack Garcia said:
I've found that my show mice smell less than the petstore mice I've met. I'm not sure why this is, but I suspect it's related to the much-lessened male aggression in the show mice which might correlate to a lower testosterone level in the males. It would make sense, I think, since some (not all) show males can live together perfectly fine.
My Sparty really REALLY smells...lol Noticably stronger than any other of my males I have, or have had in the past. It can't be diet, because he gets the same food as all my males.

W xx

·
Registered
120 Posts
Weird, I also like the mice-smell. Not too much though. That cleaned-yesterday smell is the best, but not the cleaned-week-ago... But rats, they smell horrible. No matter how often I clean their cages, it is allways bad.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.