Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember a while back I posted pictures of a boy that had been scragged and I had to separate the boys. Well the one that got scragged is now well and truly pregnant. I thought 'she' was a boy....indeed I have pics of 'her' displaying some very generous male only bits. She is def pregnant as I thought she was fat on Sunday when did a big cleanout. Weighed her and she was 43grams. Just weighed her tonight and she is 50 grams. This is one of my babies. She was only born on March 27th. Obviously I have done a thoroughly crap job of separating them even though I had another breeder help me sex them 3 times. She looks like she has testicles though....well she did. Now she has nipples and an enormous belly. This poor baby is still only 8 weeks old and is obviously ready to give birth and has been impregnated obviously by her juvenile brother. How could I have got this so wrong ? And what the hell am I going to do now ?

Just checked over the pics of when she got attacked and it was 10th May. Assuming she got pregnant around that day then she would be 17/18 days now. Wondered why those 2 boys were getting along fine ? Clearly because it is boy and girl :oops: I am an idiot. I have taken the mr mouse out and left mrs mouse on her own. What else can I do ?

Does this not look like a boy ?

And now ... aged only eight weeks !!!

And just in case there was any doubt about the sex.... (sorry about the wee)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Holy cow! :shock: How awful! (S)he went and got a sex change on you!

I just don't know what to say, I hope someone here can help you! I really hope, for both her sake and your sake, that she has very few babies in that tummy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have babies ......

Don't know how many but I could see at least 7 as she has them out in the open (probably because it is so hot).I've moved her to the other room where she can have peace and quiet. Poor thing :cry: just a baby herself :cry:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Maybe shes a hermaphrodite ;)

Make sure to give her lots of lactol and she will be able to feed the babies. I would reduce the litter down (to 3 or 4) if your up for doing that?
She isnt terribly young obviously not the ideal breeding age but it could be a lot worse. Good luck I'm sure she will be fine with a good diet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am so not up for that ! .... I did wonder if I could breed mice but after a chat with some people and some cold hard facts of life I decided it would be better if I just left the breeding to the 'breeders' and I will just buy my mice from them. I just cannot bring myself to do the deed. I have a couple of sick mice and no matter how ill they get I will try to save them. Sorry but it's just the way I am.....can't help it.

On the plus side 'mrs mouse' has always had the best of everything so she must be as fit and healthy as she could possibly be given the circumstances. I have lactol but only normally use it for sick animals....how do I give it to her ? do I need to make it up into milk or sprinkle the powder onto the food ? or both ?

Of course we will then have the sexing to do ....... and we all know how good I am at that :lol:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Either is good, I find it easier with the number of nursing mice I have to sprinkle it on dry. If you have the time you could soak it up with some bread or make a sort of oat porridge they seem to really enjoy that.

Don't worry about culling, you do whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm sure if the doe struggles to care for all of the babies she may cull then down naturally by herself.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have sprinkled some dried lactol over her food which I have boosted with extras so hopefully the food will not be an issue.

Whilst feeding her I notice that here is at least one baby in the 'house' whereas the rest are out in the open albeit in a bit of a nest. Wonder why she has one inside the house and the rest outside ...... or maybe I caught her mid move ?

Any tips or advice gratefully accepted....although lets face it is isn't so long since we were here before :cry:

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
ur prob right its likely uve caught her moving them inside to keep them warm as its still a bit chilly out at night, but still check on her in the morning just to make sure. another thing it might be is the baby was feeding from her and where shes moved theyve fallen off, either way shell soon round them up x

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope ... I didn't catch her mid move. I checked last night and there was one baby on the outer edge of the bundle that was outside. Totally away from the rest and then there is also one baby inside the house. Checked this morning and they are all exactly the same. I did wonder if the one on the edge was dead but it was moving and also the one in the house is moving. The ones in the bundle have full tums but I cant see the other twos tummys.

Do you think I should put the two 'stray' babies back in the bundle or leave well alone ?

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
The mother has a vaginal prolapse giving the appearance of testicals.She has probably left the nest while the babies were still suckling and attached and they have dropped off and she doesn't know what to do.I would definately put them in the nest.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went back and had another look. The two babies that were outside of the nest were both stuck to the paper. They were quite stuck hard too....I can only imagine the mummy couldn't move them. They were both very cold so I am pleased I have at least put them back in the nest. One was stuck to a load of paper and aubiose and I had to tear the toilet paper around it to free it. It was stuck by the umbilical cord so I gently removed everything that was stuck and put it with the others. The other one was stuck by the back leg but I've had a look and I think the leg is fine ... it must have just been sticky from the birth. There doesn't appear to be any injury. This baby was freezing cold. I've just had another look and mummy is on the nest so hopefully they will all be there with her. Will check up later. Do you think there is any risk now that I've meddled that she will reject the babies or worse still harm them ?

This vaginal prolapse thing... is this common ? when we sexed them there was def no sign of nipples at the time and obviously what looked like testicles so the assumption was made that it was male ( :lol: how wrong was I ?) .

And there was me just a couple of weeks ago telling someone on the forum that I found it easy to tell the males from the females.... From now on I would just ignore everthing I say as I am a total idiot :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I've had a few with prolapse,Ive got one now.I'll post a picture later.I've also had mice with womb prolapse after giving birth.Thats fatal though.You did a good job to unstick the babies without damage,the skin often rips like tissue ,not very nice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh god ... thank god I did it before you told me that. I did have to leave a tiny piece of paper to both of them as it was welded to them. I am hoping the mother will clean it off...assuming they make it as now it is obvious that they've been left almost 24 hours on their own.

Will the mother get anxious if I go and see how they are doing ? They are only 24 hours old. I would like to think mummy mouse is comfortable with me as she was on my hands and having a stroke the morning she gave birth and seemed fine with it. When I picked her out before to unstick the babies she was okay too but I am worried I may push my luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok .... think I will leave her until tonight and then have another look whilst feeding her and only meddle if I think it is necessary. Given that she is a hairless type and chances are she is pregnant to her brother :oops: who is also a hairless type what do you think the babies will be ?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts