Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered what everyone here recommends on what age to part bucks and does from litters?

My local store told me to part them around 19 days from birth :? but others say 4 weeks of age :? so what do you all recommend and why are there so many conflicting bits of advice? xxx

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I seperate them at 3 1/2 to 4 weeks.
I generally wait until 4 weeks,but there has been some times when Ive had to wean them at 3 1/2 weeks and they were fine.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
19 days is far too early, that's not even three weeks old! :shock: At that age they are still babies, still drinking milk and still need their mother and littermates for psychological reasons. It would be like kicking out a ten year old boy to make his own way in the world. :(

Assuming the doe is healthy and coping well, there is no reason whatsoever to split them off earlier than four weeks old for three reasons: 1) males are not able to breed until four and a half weeks at the earliest, 2) the doe won't come into season until she has weaned her babies at between four and five weeks, and 3) the sisters are unable to breed that early.

Unfortunately pet shops cannot be trusted to dispense accurate advice, certainly in my experience. I've never been in a pet shop where the owner is knowledgeable about the animals that they sell. There are exceptions, but at the end of the day most are shop owners, not rodent experts. Trouble is, they are expected to know everything about them and will spew absolute rubbish with complete authority. I was in a pet shop once and heard the manager say "no, you are much better off to buy one male rat, if you buy two they will fight and one will be killed".

I separate all my males at 30-32 days old and have never had a problem :)

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wait 5 weeks on mine... in the past when I bred, the babies never grew much past the 4 week size when i separated them at 4 weeks. Since I have started breeding again, I have been waiting 5 weeks with no ill affects, and the babies get bigger. However, I have had all big litters this time, minimum number of 6, being the most recently born, and maximum of 14, which the mother culled down to 9, but have had an average of about 10 per litter. Due to the bigger litter sizes, they take a little while longer to reach adult size... just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I was first told to wean at 3 weeks, but I thought they was too young, so I waited until 3 1/2 weeks, but since then have waited to 4 weeks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that, it's a great help. I thought when the guy said 19 days I was like :eek:
They're 3 weeks old today, and are out running about and nibbling on solid foods etc so i'll get the other cage ready for the male for a weeks time. Theres only 3 in the litter, one male i believe (unless it's a girl with a growth :lol: :? lol)

They've all got homes already....with it being my first litter i fell in love with the darkest cinnamon baby...who i've always called Bruiser (turns out bruiser is a bruisette!) so i have to keep her. she's lovely xxx

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I know around here, I wouldnt believe anything the Petshop says, they are in it for the money, not the care of the pets.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I also wait till 4.5-6 weeks like Cait and Sarah. But all of us have larger, show mice, who develop more slowly.

I've had friends whose 5-6 week old males impregnated their mothers, because petstore mice mature faster (particularly the males). I'd aim for 4-5 weeks, but play it by ear in individual circumstances.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
My mice are all petstore lines, which is why I seperate them at 4 weeks. They seem to mature faster then show mice. I dont want to risk any unwanted pregnancys.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I generally tell people weaning and seperation at four weeks. I mayself sometimes leave it later than that definately, i play it by ear and see how well developed the baby males become, and also how frisky they are lol

W xx

·
Registered
33 Posts
SarahY said:
Assuming the doe is healthy and coping well, there is no reason whatsoever to split them off earlier than four weeks old for three reasons: 1) males are not able to breed until four and a half weeks at the earliest, 2) the doe won't come into season until she has weaned her babies at between four and five weeks, and 3) the sisters are unable to breed that early.

Sarah xxx
just wanted to make a quick comment on Sarah's second point here -

"the doe won't come into season until she has weaned her babies at between four and five weeks"

not sure this is entirely accurate as female mice can come back into heat within 14 to 28 hours after giving birth to a litter. This is called a 'postpartum oestrus', which means that mothers can be nursing a litter and pregnant at the same time.

So its really important to get the little guys out before they are sexually mature - i always seperated them at 4 weeks when i was breeding and never had any problems or unwanted pregnancies

good luck

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Although that's true, it's not like a 1-2 day old pinkie can get mum pregnant, which is what we're talking about ;)

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
So sorry, I suppose I should have said "except for directly after birth" but I didn't think it was particularly relevent to the original post. I will revise my statement and say that once the doe is lactating properly, her hormones will prevent her coming into season until she stops lactating when she weans her litter at around 4.5 weeks.

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've deffo got one male, he's not showing signs of being frisky with his siblings or mum so i'm going to move him into his bachelor pad at the weekend. he'll be 4 weeks old on monday, they're weaned already - currently watching them stuff their cute little faces!!

:D

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I didn't know lactating females couldn't get pregnant... I seperate the boys at about 4 weeks of age, but I leave the girls with the mom for a while longer. I don't rapidly rebreed, so I figure the longer they're on Mom, the happier they'll be.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I have another question about sexing pinkies... What's the earliest age you can sex them at? Can you tell on day 1, or what? I used to wait until fur to get a good sex on them, but now I can tell at 4-5 days. I can only tell by comparing them side by side, though, and since that requires a lot of handling I haven't tried it on very young litters.

·
Registered
34 Posts
dont worry when i went to the pet store the woman who sold me the mice was alllergic to them, she just wanted me to take them she didntcare where the where going :/

1 - 20 of 27 Posts