Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i have two colony of mice.. 1 buck and 2 does for each colony.

1st colony consist of 5 weeks old mice. ( i think.. they might be older)

2nd colony consist of 4 mnths old mice.

1st colony, was established 3 weeks ago.

the females look pregnant but im not sure.

2nd colony has been established 3 mnths ago since july.

the females not sure pregnant or not.

my problem is this.. what is the behaviour of pregnant mice? do only pregnant mice build nest? i have this upside down box and the 1st colony has already "build" a nest by stuffing it with shredded newspaper n hay.

and if they're pregnant, will the male still be able to mate with them?

if they are not pregnant, is there any way to make them breed? pulling my hair out coz if they still dun breed, im pretty sure my mom will kill me. coz i told her that if they wont breed, ill ship them out to my hostel which i dun want to do!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Firstly... The first colony has to be older than 5 weeks, if they were put together 3 weeks ago.. They would have been 2 weeks old, and still nursing with their moms...

Rule number one: Do not try to use females that are less than 3 months old.

So, they were not breeding, because they were to young. Or are you sure of the gender? Make sure, that you do have males, and not only females.

Mice make nests, no matter if they are pregnant or not. You will see pregnant mice, from their big bellies.
Make sure they have lots of foods, and water never runs out, and if there are male and females, they will breed, sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
It may take awhile for it to happen, but chances are they will mate and produce babies. Sometimes the chemistry just isn't right. I read that experiments were done showing that bucks prefer to mate with individuals they are related to when given the option of a doe that is related and a doe that isn't. I've had pairings that never produced then suddenly, one day, there were pinkies! And I've had others that never produced babies, but I left them together anyway because they seemed to be so firmly bonded with one another. (Yeah, I'm and old softy! ;) )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh sorry I meant their age when they were first put together.. Now their2 months old already.. Anyway, problem solved , realize it was a lighting problem, they didn't have much diff between night and day...:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts