Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing? I usually just free feed, but I have one does that just gets huge when I do that. I've noticed that she doesn't use the wheel either. Is there anyway I can encourage her to use the wheel more, or some other exercise she'll take to more? I've tried the ball on the floor, and she'll just sit there for 20 mintues, not moving. I'm not sure if she's extra smart or extra dumb. How much should she be eating per day?

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's funny... I have a buck that's like that. He's broken Orange (not the correct color term, but I'm too used to rabbit breeding. :) ) but he will sit in the ball on the floor for as long as he is allowed to, he will clean himself, sit and look around, then take a nap. I free feed as well, and probably give him WAY more than he needs. *sigh... the joy of being mousie parents!

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Certain colors of mousie have a tendency to get obese regardless of what they are fed. I have a number of BFM's (Big Fat Mousies), and they get the same kind and amount of food as the others. Red, yellow, PEW, brindled,and some others have the same tendency, though it can happen in any color, just less often.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what do you do about it? I'm worried she's too fat to breed, but she's an excellent mother--first litter was 16 pups that all lived to weaning. (I don't count after weaning because that's when I start to cull to my snake).

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
breeding helps to keep those with tendencies to get fat in shape.Therefore I leave them in with a buck permanently.Seperating whilst they rear a litter often leads to them getting fat and infertility follows.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
sometimes the big girls produce one or two babies with absolutely no change in body shape.It's rare once they have ballooned that they produce many.On the plus side they make good companions for lone bucks .

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll keep that in mind, becuase I've noticed that my bucks are much easier to handle when they have a doe with them. Maybe I'll put her in with my most skittish buck, and if there's no babies, well at least he won't be alone :p .

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are there any fresh veggies/fruit that I should not feed her? Like, I've heard corn can cause cancer, and you shouldn't feed onions to dogs, anything else like that? What about alfalfa? I have a horse, and I can breed dried alfalfa home to feed the mice.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Apples and celery are good choices. It takes a lot of energy to digest them, so they'll probably do the best job. Feed in moderation of course, make sure your mouse is getting a smaller than normal portion of their normal food, and has veggies as options if it gets hungrier. :)

It's really difficult to get a mouse to lose weight. You have to get really creative. Moving their food dish up onto a platform that makes them climb to get to it, helps, especially if they are in a tall enclosure. The further away from the mouse's sleeping area, the better. That way they are required to move a little bit more than normal. Deffinately make sure they have a wheel too. Climbing ropes are also good exercise. :)

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
You can just go to the store, and buy a small length of polar fleece, cut it into long strips, and braid it, and that'll work, and it's cheaper. :)
mice enjoy them.

From what I've heard, and seen, a lot of mice are afraid of the bells on the bird and rabbit toys.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I found that scattering the food for my fatty Marx helped, especially if I put some of it in a sealed box which he had to dig through for dinner. I also refused to feed him until he followed my hand around the tank for 10 minutes with a sunflower seed and then begged for it - it forced him to run around :lol: He lost quite a bit of weight when I started doing that :)

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I use popsicle sticks to make 'treat' boxes, that the mice have to chew through, before they can eat the food inside. :)

Also works with cardboard. You can cut out the pieces and hot glue them together into a box shape, and fill it up with his food. :)

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those are some good ideas! I'll try them out and see how it works! She's in with a buck now, since I think she's too fat to breed. If there are babies, great! If not, at least he's not alone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.