Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i went to rescue more feeders and i got 3. one black, one thats maybe splashed (separate post later), and one that looks cool but i have no idea what she is. ive never seen a marking like this. the only thing i could think of was merle, but i thought merle could only be black/white/grey colored? this one is brown and has a perfect patch on her head. she also has a more blondish colored patch on her side that i have circled red in one pic (its hard to see in pictures but you can see it well in person). is it something obvious and im being dumb? (haha) tell me what this is please!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sure at what age they molt, probrably better to ask someone who is experienced in this type. All I know is, is that they can be a real challenge to show because of the molting. Cute mousie by the way. :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha well i dont show so it wont be a problem with me. and i dont really know much about molting :oops: . but if she's burmese then i guess thats cool :)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I agree that she is molting (and/or has ringworm), but she looks like a very poor chocolate on my monitor.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is poor your favorite word? im getting tired of you calling my mice "poor". this is the 3rd one you've said that about :cry: :lame

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Haha! "Poor" is a professional color/coat/type designation that doesn't reflect on the quality of the animal as a pet, only on how well it represents its variety. :)

If you want to have an idea of what a good chocolate color looks like (as well as an example of a poor chocolate), you can go here: http://www.hiiret.fi/eng/breeding/varie ... olate.html You can also read about the variety :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha ya i looked there before. so is she molting then? cuz her color is either "poor" (haha) chocolate or burmese (at least it looks that way to me)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I would say she is probably molting, but you would know best since you have her there. If in a week or two she looks different, then that's definitely what it is. Some mice molt more than others, for whatever reason. She's a very cute mouse, regardless. :p

I don't know what the temperature is like in your part of Arizona, but some mice molt more when the seasons are changing (kind of like growing a winter/summer coat).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh well it has been starting to warm up lately so maybe thats why. haha that is such a weird molting pattern! i didnt know they molted so perectly. i wish it would stay that way!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I have pictures somewhere (currently looking for them) of a very ugly, very "poor," but very cute-in-her-own-way gold mouse I had a while ago, who had a permanent molt that affected only her head. lol

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Actually, I found even better pictures! lol

These are a dove fuzzy I got earlier last year from a friend of mine who is no longer involved in the hobby.

She was a poor dove. Though her ears aren't horrible, they aren't spectacular either.

You can see how she molted on her head only, though.

Isn't that weird? :p

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I found the other ones! This was a sooty pet store gold/brindle I picked up in 2008 (if I remember right) because of her weird molt patterns.

She was extraordinarily "poor" in every way possible (lol) but was a really sweet little mouse nonetheless.

I could never bring myself to breed her but I made sure she lived her life out as happily as possible. To her credit, if she hadn't been so ugly I never would have gotten her. :p

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
One of my favourite mice, Lily, who is a very poor Dove (she is very mealy) also has molted just on her head... bless her.

She was pregnant at the time, so I think her odd molt was due to hormones.

Willow xx

1 - 20 of 31 Posts