Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to start keeping rats again, and maybe in the future start to breed them again.

This is not an urgent wanted thread, more of a 'I would love some quality rats from lovely breeders' and also a 'please give me advice because I want to do it right!' hehee

Firstly, the rats would be kept in my large insulated shed, in the same vicinity as my mice (I am prepared that my mice may stop breeding for a time) I have been looking into cages, are there any rat keepers out there that can recommend a good type of cage that would house two or three rats? I have been looking at the new Jenny's but have seen mixed reviews, plus they are expensive and thats alot of money to waste on something that wouldn't work.

I will be rearranging my shed this weekend to see how much room I can make as to how many cages I think I will be able to fit in there.

So if there are any breeders of lovely rats in the London/Kent area (Maybe a little further depending lol) and you will have rats available in the next few months, please let me know.

I love any sort of Blue rat and I adore ticked varieties... but as always, temprement and health is more important to me at the moment then colour!

Willow xx

P.S Also, what do the ratty people feed there rats? :)

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
I breed pet quality British blue and russian silver, maybe russian blue at times.

One of my cages is a chincilla cage, you know the two storey metal ones. You have to remove the metal floor on the base to stop bumble foot etc, but these cages are generally cheaper.

it houses 3 does easily.

food wise i feed a very basic (cheap) rabbit food, and add a little good quality complete cat food. The usual treats of fruit, fresh veg etc.

I never feed seeds. My rats favourite treat is fresh Chicken and my nursing does get fresh chicken every day. (only a little mind)

my bucks will eat anything and i keep them on a very strict diet (fat boys!)

oh i have a huge cage i think its a jenny or savic, bought it second hand tho so not sure, can find out.

my nursing females and babies stay in 3ft aquarium tanks with converted lids

hope that helps

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hiya Willow
I breed rats and i should in the next few weeks have 2 litters 1 containing russian blue and black the other containing russian blue black and topaz :D

I am in west sussex but am easily reachable by train as station is on my road or i would be happy to bring them to you ? Whatever is left after my keepers are chosen and my waiting list sorted i could bring for you to choose from :)

I use these cages Freddy 2 by savic and the Explorer for up ton 4 rats the freddy 2 is ideal and is around £30 to £40 2nd hand and can usually be found on ebay

I feed the ''shunamite diet'' if you google it it will come up and its basically a good quality rabbit mix with added low sugar and salt cereals and dog kibble and pasta in winter with fresh veggies and protein for the kittens and nursing mums
Hope this helps
Juliet x

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would this be a good cage do you think... its HUGE, and a decent price for it too. How many rats do you think I could keep in there?

http://www.justcages.co.uk/products/f13-ferret-mammal-cage

And I use rabbit food as a base for my mouse feed, plus me and my partner are contemplating a rabbit soon aswell, I usually use Wagg, either mix or pellets... so I would be okay to just miss out the seeds I use for my mice, but add the cat kibble? (I use bloody good stuff, 32% protein kitten food)

I will be sorting out my shed on saturday/sunday... should be able to squeeze a few big cages in there I think. Will look at more cages and buy one when I get paid on the 21st... after that happens, I will definately be on the lookout for lovely rats (I'd rather not get some from the pet shop... though my pet shop is lovely and always good to the animals, i don't know the backgrounds of the animals)

Oh I should mention to anyone else who reads this... dumbo or top ear... doesn't matter to me, I think they are all gorgoeus, and fur type is not an issue either... except i would like them to *have* fur, so no naked or double rexes please! hehe

W xx

·
Registered
293 Posts
According to here http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information ... alculator/ That cage will house between 7 to 9 rats

Only thing i would say is the bars look wide (and it doesnt state bar width) so wouldnt be great for 6 week old kittens perhaps :?:

Seeds are totally fine for rats in fact they love them :) The kitten kibble could be rather high in protein at 32% especially for adult rats and rabbit food is fine but in my experience from mine and others rats who have tried Wagg most rats wont touch it :?

Have you considered the Explorer cage at all ? An example here http://www.petworlddirect.co.uk/acatalo ... Cages.html its £139.99 and a fantastic cage you can have it as one big cage or it can easily be split into 2 and will house 6 in each half or 12 ish over all
If you do want a cage for 2 to 4 rats have a look at this http://www.savic.be/freddy-2 Usually has a yellow base ;)
Ebay have a fare few of them http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Savic-Freddy-2-Ra ... 3a599b38eb
OR http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Freddy-2-Rat-Cage ... 3efeab93df
OR Brand new with only £5.99 PnP http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Freddy-2-Rat-cage ... 5d28aabc30

Also have you thought of joining the NFRS http://www.nfrs.org/ they have a brill members only forum and hold some wonderful shows some of which not far from you at all :) I know you are a member of the London and southern counties mouse and rat club so when you show your meeces you can also show your ratties :D

Hope all that helps a bit
Juliet x

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What sort of protein percentage would you recommend? And I generally only put a bit of the kitten food in my mouse mix, giving a bit extra to pregnant and nursing does.

And Ooo... I like the Explorer, hmmm I will have to see how much I can spend when I get paid! If not that much,then I will go for one of the smaller cages off Ebay :D
Would you be able to seperate off the Explorer for males and females? Or is it not a good idea to house them *that* close together (Though if I do get both genders, even if not for breeding, the cages will be quite close anyway)

Talking of, how well do the boys live together? Most of the male rats I had in the past lived well together, even if they weren't 'virgins' lol

And thank you, this is helping alot :D Once I get rats, I may consider joining the NFRS, I still have to join the NMC yet! Haha! If only they had online payments for there membership, I would have done it straight away.

W xx

·
Registered
293 Posts
NFRS does do online payment via paypal :twisted: :D

I will have to check the protein percentage and let you know :)

I keep my Buck's in the top of my Explorer and my Doe's in the bottom and never had a problem, Mine is seperated by metal trays not only the ladder that clips up.
Most bucks will live happily together especially if you introduce kittens to older bucks or have all kittens at roughly the same age.
My Doe's are fab all i do is open cage pop in new girlie shut door theres a bit of chasing and pinning for a half hour then there all asleep together :lol:

If you want to talk more try my email and MSN Addy Juliet0303 at hotmail.com
:D

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Ratties, good choice. I have had rats for pets for years but recently started to breed with the aim being on showing eventually along side the mice. I have far too many already and im concerntrating on top eared PEW and one other variety yet to be decided. But have roans and hoodeds in agouti, silver fawn, champagne, black and mink. And black berkshires too.

But you have some good breeders down south, shouldnt be hard to find some nice ratties.

Feeding, do consider the shunamite diet here http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk/shunamite.shtml it really does keep them in good condition and gives a nice variety.

Freddy max cages are good for keeping a couple of rats in, I dont rate the jenny cages because of the tiny doors, make it very hard to reach inside to rearrange things quickly. But if you want to blow the bank then look at the savic royal suite here http://www.justcages.co.uk/products/savic-royal-suite-95-double-rodent-cage You can use it as one massive cage or put the ramp up and it divides into two cages. Very neat design, plenty of space to hang hammocks and nice wide opening doors which makes for easy cleaning.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Or better value for money and fine for up to 4 ratlings the Savic Freddy 2 cage :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would agree with Juliet and go for explorers or Savic Freddy cages

although I keep my rats in hutches and have done for years and years.

breeders nearest to you are Ann Storey, Natasha Klus and Bex Havard, all breed lovely rats.

You can get their details by emailing [email protected] and a list of NFRS breeders will be emailed to you or you can pm me or Juliet and we can give you their personal email addresses.

Lisa

·
Registered
293 Posts
Lisa that is sooooo dense of me the Kent breeders never dawned on me i am stooopid sometimes :lol:

Yes the 3 breeders mentioned have truly fantastic rats :)

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still wanting ratties!

I am contacting most ethical breeders in a do-able distance to me, but if anyone out there knows of people, please let me know!!
I really would prefer big, chunky 'typey' rats to the smaller pet type.

W xx

·
Registered
293 Posts
Lisa Katie (Willowdragon) Does go regularly to Enfield shows she cant make may but is going to June show :)

I have offered her some of Henry's babies :) :) :)

Hint hint she Loves Agouti :p

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have got the breeder list, have emailed several people who are in a doable distance to me :D

Actually was gonna pop into this thread and say 'Yay! Ann Storey contacted me today, and asked if I was still looking for rats!! So hopefully that means she may have some available! Wee'! lol

I have a Freddy 2 cage arriving any day now, and I think I may have persuaded my partner to help me pay for an Explorer cage for my birthday! (Which is beggining of may, which is why i can't make the may show) So I will have tonnes of space! hehe

W xx

·
Registered
293 Posts
Briliant news re the explorer Katie :D :) :D Ann breeds wonderful rats i am sure she will sort you out some Beauties :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts