243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Is this Variegated or marked?
The colour on her is agouti satin.

·
Registered
103 Posts
it is either

Vari have to site... like a skunk ore like this......

PS: She have also ss... it is a questen of the K modification..

regards tipex

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes SaraY, I was looking at photos now of recessive spotting and it looks so much like her. Sounds very likely, does anyone other agree? :)

tipex said:
Vari have to site... like a skunk ore like this......
Don´t really understand this, do you mean that variegated must be on both sides (like a skunk) or like the bottom photo (with variengated at the bottom but a marking on the neck?)......?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry no.. it is a Question of K-Modification that you became a mouse with a lot of white ore not much of white..

Vari whit a good K-Modification of ss...

The marking on the neck is a ss fault... but she is very white...i show only the difference..

regards tipex

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I don't understand what you mean, tipex?

What is K-modification?

MyMouse, variegated (dominant) should be a white mouse covered in small splashes of colour, but some can be very heavily coloured so that they look almost like brokens and some can be black eyed whites. Unfortunately broken (recessive spotting) also varies in this way, so it can be very hard to tell which gene a marked mouse is showing.

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rhasputin said:
If you breed her, you will bel ikely to figure it out. :)
Yes I will breed her but she came to me pregnant and the father is not known, the buck is POSSIBLY black/tan but still not at all for sure, a bit complicated. So this will not be easy. I will just have to try to figure out what the first litter could be and learn better in her second litter. She has got a little belly now, she is at least half way through her pregnancy, can´t wait to see her litter.

Do you have any suggestion on what colour I should try to mate with her. I have a very nice young BEW male I could use but can also aquire other colours if they were better.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tipex said:
Sorry no.. it is a Question of K-Modification that you became a mouse with a lot of white ore not much of white..

The marking on the neck is a ss fault... but she is very white...i show only the difference..

regards tipex
So mine is perhaps vari with not much of white because of the K-Modification and a fault because of the white marking on the neck? :) trying to understand (not that I know what K-modification is)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes you understand...so i try to explain... the K-Modification are a multiple alleles... it mean a lot of different allels controls the distribution of color. Which hair is white and which hair have colors... and this K is also responsible in the market S-Locus to make a lot of markets or not.. he is like a regulator .... the problem is... K is very unpredictable That mean,... you can have a Vari how look like a skunk...and when you have baby from her... it can have very very white varis in the litter...

I hope you understand know what i will say... so the Conclusion is you must look to breed white very white piebalds...than you have very nice varis with a good coat like the Standards.... Than you breed the ss out... but K remains

regards tipex

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Looks like either, but Im leaning towards marked.
If she is Variegated, you should get some Variegateds in the litter

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am trying to understand but it is a bit difficult.
She could be marked or varegated or broken (is that reccessive spotting too?)
She just had a litter with a BEW buck (I thought she was pregnant when I got her but I was wrong so I know the dad now)

And the babies I got was
2 gray or darkgray with same: marking as mom (1 satin)
2 Fawn with same markings (1 satin)
3 lighter gray with same markings (2 satin)
2 BEW
1 PEW satin

Does that help?

Photo of mom and dad with my Ivory satin doe, from when I first got them.

Babies

another photo of them http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx47 ... 856650.jpg

More photos of mom when I just got her
http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx47 ... 856325.jpg
http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx47 ... 856322.jpg
http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx47 ... 856319.jpg
http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx47 ... 856318.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you windyhill!
Would be glad to know if someone else here thinks so too :)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Keep in mind that there's no reason why she can't be both so you wouldn't necessarily know even if you bred her, unless you had a mouse who you knew for certain didn't carry recessive white spotting ("marked") and babies with white spotting appeared in the F1 generation. Often, when both variegated and recessive white spotting are present on the same mouse, it is a BEW, but not always.

That said, the white streak down the spine (technically a fault) is indicative of variegated, in my experience and based on the way the babies look I'd say she's variegated.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
variegated* (I swear I can spell,lol)

I have a variegated doe who looks just like yours. I didnt know what she was for sure until she had her babies though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Jack, very good information. and you too MaryBeth, really good to know you have a similar mouse that is def variegated :D

I will have to take a new photo of her now that her whiskers have grown on and such since I got her

1 - 20 of 22 Posts