Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would a year old male be still worthy as a breeder? would he still produce healthy offspring and be as prolific/active as younger males? thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
I like to use older males. If he has lived to that age without tumors, he is worth using.
With females, you cant wait, you have to use them young. So older males are definetly good for use, as long as they look healthy.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
It's good using an older buck for stud if he's healthy. And if he's an experienced buck, it's even better. My Nibbles is about 22 months old and still producing gorgeous little tris for me.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I know folks who have bred males past 2 years and females past one year, both without issue. I had one particularly long-lived stud buck who was between 2 and 3 who sired a litter with his great-great-granddaughter.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Jack Garcia said:
I know folks who have bred males past 2 years and females past one year, both without issue. I had one particularly long-lived stud buck who was between 2 and 3 who sired a litter with his great-great-granddaughter.
Dirty old man LOL

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Males in my mousery who live to three years in good health always get a chance with a doe; those longevity genes are good things to pass along.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts