Pet Mice Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Urgent situation-dying mouse

1K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  Peteyandthegang 
#1 ·
Hi guys, hope someone can help me out quickly

We have a 2 year old doe who has been very wary looking for about a week now. Today her breathing is VERY heavy, shes stone cold, not moving, runny eyes, looks to be choking...the mouse is clearly suffering terribly

The vet says hell charge 20 quid to put her down...is it just me, or is that really steep?

Im wondering what youd all do in this situation? Ive never killed a pet myself before in my life but if there was a quick way to end this girls suffering then I would, its terrible to watch

Would it be cheapest and best for her for us to quickly buy the bits for and assemble a chamber? (Where would you recommend buying the items if so) Take her to the vets? (several miles away, stressful and costly) or something else?

Thank you

#3 ·
Thanks for such a good honest answer...I had a feeling itd be best. Weve done the whole journey to the vets thing with her sisters whove gone before her and it was horrible. Ill get looking for where to buy the bits right away, just hope I do it all right as she deserves a dignified sendoff

#16 ·
Iena (the mouse) went to sleep this evening in our newly made chamber
It was so so hard on us, one of the most stressful evenings in months, but so quick, easy and painless for her, and Im pleased shes out of her suffering now. She did just flop and fall asleep
Thank you for the advice

#19 ·
goodness me what a nightmare, well done.

I put a C02 chamber together very early on in my mouse keeping, I haven't used it yet but I didn't want to find myself stuck without one and in need.

You did really well - can I just ask if you put a sponge over the end of the tube? I haven't got one because I'm not certain how thick / thin it should be without stopping the gas coming out but I would rather it was quieter it's quite a sharp blast :roll:

#20 ·
Thank you guys, really needed the encouragement and support with this :)

Naomi we didnt use sponge...it took us so long to figure out how to get the pump to work (we bought the wrong type that had to be pressed down on the bike tyre before releasing and had 2 holes :? ) that we werent left with much time, and the poor girl just needed putting out of her misery. It wasnt that loud, and luckily she was only hanging on by a thread and I dont think fully aware at that point. In future we will use sponge, although I dont know about what type either, I just assumed like kitchen sponge or something :?

#22 ·
Good idea! Theyre really pourous but I should imagine would lessen the noise

Well, were going to have to do this again tomorrow :( Its our fault for originally taking on all these old "rescues" who are now reaching the end all at the same time. (and seem persitant) This girl has a large tumour near her lung, fur loss and squeaks as she breathes. :( Shes 2 aswell

#24 ·
Thank you Fae

Pettie (mouse number 2)s euthanasia was even simpler...the lovely old girl deserved such a good sendoff. We tucked her in tight and she went literally a couple of seconds after the gas was released, just to sleep

This can be closed now, thank you guys or the support :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.