Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mam found a baby hedgehog in my neighbors lawn, i dont think its fully grown, and i didnt think that it should be out through the day, it is now wrapped up in a towel in the backyard, any advice on what i should do?It is infested with fleas but i think this is normal, i have a spare cambridge cage if i took out the levels, please help,

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Whereabouts are you? I keep hedgehogs and may be able to help.

Besides that, can you get a photo as this will help assess its age. Is it eating dry cat food if offered? If not is it young enough to need hand feeding? Now that you have handled it and changed its smell I doubt its mum will take it back if it was still living with her. If you have a suitable tank to keep it in for a day or two to make sure its ok before releasing it that might be a good idea, or call your local wildlife rescue. It may well have been absolutely fine when you saw it out and about, but better check and be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im in hartlepool so I don't think you would be able to take it or anything, i cant upload a photo cos the disk that we need is scratched, i have a cambridge hamster cage if that any help, but i wouldnt be able to bring it in the house cos it has fleas and i have a dog and a cat.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
You need to ring your local wildlife rescue then. I don't know much about hamster cages but one would definitely be far too small to keep a native hedgehog in (I have an APH in a 4ft x 2ft tank and they are quite a bit smaller). The rescue will treat the hh for fleas etc and once it's eating and healthy will rerelease it into the wild. It would be best to ring them straight away so someone can come and collect it from you and find an appropriate carer for it overnight as if it needs to be handfed it may already be in trouble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.