Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

sorry I'm not a breeder - but I do need urgent advice - and this is the best looking forum I found. I am a teacher - andt this morning one of my pupils brought in a little gray mouse in a tiny cage (looks like the one I put my hamster in when I clean him out) with no food or water - she asked if I could take care of him as her dad would not let her keep him any more.

His name is Moomin and I think he's about 12 weeks old. I have given him a spare hamster bed, water, food and some chew sticks and I'll buy a bigger cage tomorrow - but I don't know how much room they need?

Also he bites at the moments - I don't think he's ever been handled - whats the best way to start?

Also - one of his eyes looks just a little crusty, although it is now fully open - what should I do? All advise greatfully recived - sorry for gate crashes a breeders site!!!

Rachel

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
If you are trying to tame the mouse (i.e. he is scared of you at the moment) then a big cage may make things worse for now. He will be able to run and hide and stay out of your way when you try to pick him up. If possible, I'd say give him a medium sized cage for now and upgrade to a bigger one when you have more trust built up. It doesn't have to be expensive - you can modify a storage type box pretty easily with some 5mm wire mesh, or keep an eye out for old fish tanks on Freecycle (Craigslist in the US?) and/or Ebay. Is he actually biting (drawing blood) or giving warning nips (not breaking the skin)?

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
for the eyes you can use chloramphenicol drops,for conjunctivitus in humans and available over the counter at the chemist.For fast track taming pick the mouse up by the tale about half way between base and end and quickly transfer to a clothed arm or leg where a bite won't cause you to drop the mouse.Hold the mouse briefly there,repeat daily and the mouse will give up on the biting fairly quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Try holding a treat on the palm of your hand or in your fingers to get the mousie to come to The Hand. I think tail grabbing might frighten the poor dear unless you are able to get him on the first try.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
moustress said:
Try holding a treat on the palm of your hand or in your fingers to get the mousie to come to The Hand. I think tail grabbing might frighten the poor dear unless you are able to get him on the first try.
I don't think picking a mouse up by the tail will cause fright,it's the norm.That said I'm suggesting a fast fix,if you have time then coaxing is fine although it's not the method for me,I'd never get to bed at night by the time everyone was coaxed.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Picking up by the base of the tail is fine.

You didn't quite say--is this a wild mouse? I know some folks call the wild color agouti "gray," so I wonder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This might sound a little silly but whenever I'm given or I've rescued a scared or jumpy animal, I find talking to them works quite well! I use my best quiet, soft voice and just talk, they hide at first but usually get curious after a while, to the point where they'll come right up to you for a sniff! If you have a spare half hour here and there, try it.
Mice know us from the sound of our voices and our smell, talking to them gets them used to both. You could then maybe try coaxing with food. I try not to push them too fast too soon, eventually they start to trust you and come to you by themselves.
I've done this with rats and rabbits too, never failed!

I sound like a right nutter! :lol: I have actual people friends that I talk to aswell!!!
-and a partner (who talks to the animals too!) :lol:

Hope that helps!
x

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I use a high, rather squeaky (baby) voice when talking to my mice hehehe

Mice hear in a higher frequency than we do, they don't hear us well when using our normal voice.

Willow xx

·
Registered
20 Posts
WillowDragon said:
I use a high, rather squeaky (baby) voice when talking to my mice hehehe

Mice hear in a higher frequency than we do, they don't hear us well when using our normal voice.

Willow xx
My does get higher, depending on how cute they're being!!! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's not a wild mouse - just a little mouse who has been mishandled by children I think. I'm using the approach I've used with all my hamsters and using something to lift him out onto my lap so we can have a cuddle without me having to grab him and stress him - seems to be going ok :D He is SUCH a cutie, I am totally smitten!!

Thanks for the advice Natsimpkiss - I'm so glad I'm not the only one who talks to my pets - my other half thinks i'm crackers!!

Here is a little pic of Moomin - you can just see his 'special' left eye - which doesn't open all the way unless he's scared - the vet says its ok though - probably just something he was born with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.