Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe has just given birth too my first litter........ of 15!

I know it is probably wrong but I sexed 14 as girls and 1 as not sure :roll:

Is it absoloutely neccesary for me to cull or is there any chance that I could keep them all. There is a runt (about half the size of the rest) and I know that I will probably have to get rid of her, but are the rest good to keep?

I just grabbing at straws here :(

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Even if I wasn't breeding for show I personally would not leave a doe with that many babies, as you say there's already a runt. They have 10 nipples so I'd say that was the absolute maximum, though I would take it down further. Obviously it's up to you, you have to weigh the health of doe and babies up against any other issues.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both the mum and the nanny are feeding them. Would 10 be a suitable number or further still? I don't want anything to happen to the doe (I love her :love1 ).
If you were not breeding to show, what is the maximum you'd take it down to?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
sommy said:
If you were not breeding to show, what is the maximum you'd take it down to?
As I said, if that were the case then 10 - as it is I take it down to 4 ;) I'd say the doe would probably be more comfortable with 8 but 10 should survive to weaning unless they have any health problems (or contract any).

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Yes she should cope ok with 9. They are easier to sex at 4 days old if you think you may have got it wrong the first time, or just want to be sure. Although it would be great, I really doubt you have 14 does and 1 buck unfortunately.

·
Registered
982 Posts
bless you this all sounds a little familiar, when I started breeding I also keep asking (and wondering) what was the "biggest" amount I could get away with :lol:

but at the end of the day, if you're going to cull a litter you're going to cull a litter. I would not be happy with more than 8 per litter and I would only keep 8 with a doe IF they were all does which they very rarely are but it can happen ;)

my breed/show line litters are now culled to between 4 and 5 depending if I need to keep a buck (or 2) but pet litters I try to keep 6-8 but sexes dictate otherwise more often than not.

Cait has a FABULOUS page on her website which really helped me correctly sex my latest litter which I did (with Cait's printed pictures and words) when they were 4 days old, it IS easier at 4 days when there is little doubt a boy is a boy ;) I'm really pleased I am left with 4 does and 1 buck :D

You (and your doe) will be happy in the long run I promise ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I did it on Tuesday, I took out the runt and four more that looked smaller than the rest leaving me wihtt ten fatties. I put them in the freezer and haven't had the guts to take them out yet :cry: But the ten remaining have just started growing fur are are looking great :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.