Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe has just given birth too my first litter........ of 15!

I know it is probably wrong but I sexed 14 as girls and 1 as not sure :roll:

Is it absoloutely neccesary for me to cull or is there any chance that I could keep them all. There is a runt (about half the size of the rest) and I know that I will probably have to get rid of her, but are the rest good to keep?

I just grabbing at straws here :(

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Even if I wasn't breeding for show I personally would not leave a doe with that many babies, as you say there's already a runt. They have 10 nipples so I'd say that was the absolute maximum, though I would take it down further. Obviously it's up to you, you have to weigh the health of doe and babies up against any other issues.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both the mum and the nanny are feeding them. Would 10 be a suitable number or further still? I don't want anything to happen to the doe (I love her :love1 ).
If you were not breeding to show, what is the maximum you'd take it down to?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
sommy said:
If you were not breeding to show, what is the maximum you'd take it down to?
As I said, if that were the case then 10 - as it is I take it down to 4 ;) I'd say the doe would probably be more comfortable with 8 but 10 should survive to weaning unless they have any health problems (or contract any).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I'll take out the runt, have another go at sexing and then take out 5 more. Leaving me with nine.

Is that ok?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Yes she should cope ok with 9. They are easier to sex at 4 days old if you think you may have got it wrong the first time, or just want to be sure. Although it would be great, I really doubt you have 14 does and 1 buck unfortunately.

·
Registered
982 Posts
bless you this all sounds a little familiar, when I started breeding I also keep asking (and wondering) what was the "biggest" amount I could get away with :lol:

but at the end of the day, if you're going to cull a litter you're going to cull a litter. I would not be happy with more than 8 per litter and I would only keep 8 with a doe IF they were all does which they very rarely are but it can happen ;)

my breed/show line litters are now culled to between 4 and 5 depending if I need to keep a buck (or 2) but pet litters I try to keep 6-8 but sexes dictate otherwise more often than not.

Cait has a FABULOUS page on her website which really helped me correctly sex my latest litter which I did (with Cait's printed pictures and words) when they were 4 days old, it IS easier at 4 days when there is little doubt a boy is a boy ;) I'm really pleased I am left with 4 does and 1 buck :D

You (and your doe) will be happy in the long run I promise ;)

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I brought a litter of 12 to weaning, but that was with copious amounts of hand feeding and one very runty little girl. In the long run, if you're going to cull anyway, then its probably best to stick to 10 or less.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I did it on Tuesday, I took out the runt and four more that looked smaller than the rest leaving me wihtt ten fatties. I put them in the freezer and haven't had the guts to take them out yet :cry: But the ten remaining have just started growing fur are are looking great :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts