Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two 6 week old mice from an independent breeder 2 weeks ago, which would make them 8 weeks old now. She told me they had been separated from their brothers a week prior to this but now I'm not sure this is all true as I am 99% sure they are both pregnant.

As this isn't a planned pregnancy I'm not really sure what to do. Is there anything I should add to the cage? Anything I should know? When should I remove the males to be absolutely sure they won't get the does pregnant? I've heard after 6 weeks, but if what the lady I got mine from says is true then mine got pregnant at 5 weeks and I really don't want any more unplanned pregnancies!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I have actually noticed a difference in petstore-derived mice and in show mice. The petstore mice seen to sexually mature faster (both males and females) than the much larger, slower-growing show mice. I routinely leave show babies together until 5-6 weeks without pregnancy, but the last time I had a petstore-derived litter, the males were mounting mom (not just playing/dominance) at 4 weeks and 1 day old so I had to take them out! :shock:

The best thing you can do for these girls is give them a dark, secure nest box with plenty of high-protein food like dried cat food, scrambled eggs, and human infant formula (or kitten milk replacer), and wait...good luck! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jack, I've given them some dog biscuits and a good quality mouse food. I'll have scrambled egg for breakfast tomorrow too!

I just hope they survive the birth and everything. One of them is especially large. They both seem happy and active though-and they're eating and drinking plenty.

Of course next challenge will be finding new homes for the pups!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
You can always cull (euthanize) some of the babies. Since the mothers are so young, this would probably also help them raising them, especially if the litter is large.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
The only saving grace is that they gain a lot of size quickly at this age; it's way too young for them to have babies of their own, but the moms will probably have no trouble delivering. Hope for small litters, and if they look premature, I'd cull if there's more than six pinkies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How exactly do you cull? I'm really not sure I could do it but don't want the mothers to suffer as a result if I don't. Before today I thought people just culled to get rid of males and I didn't really agree with it.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Culling is far from a secret shame in this forum, so don't worry about it. this group is generally very accepting about a person's right to manage their animals as they see fit, as long as it's done humanely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just joined this forum. I've culled many times and used many methods but always felt uncomfortable. One method I have used over the last few months is clear plastic baggie and reddiwhip. I put the sick mouse in the bag, remove most of the air, insert the tip and release the gas, (nitrous oxide/laughing gas) into the bag an hold it shut. The mouse will become unconscious within seconds and it makes finishing the job much less stressful for both parties. I spoke with my vet about this method and she agreed that it was very humane.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
When the babies are a week old you can replace the substrate but I leave the nest intact so the babies still have the right smell. Add more nesting material for the doe to use and then when babies are 2 weeks old do a normal cleanout.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There are ways of doing it with out culling i never cull my litters 5 of my girls were pregnant when i got them they had babys when they were 8 weeks i just fed them lactol puppy milk sprinkled on there food dry, bepher bone bilder just a pinch on there food and boneo puppy milk biscuites broken up 1 per mouse and i fed them twice a day and i only got one runt out of 32 babys and eventually the runt caught up with the others as i continued to feed them this mix untill the babies were 8 weeks old and the mums continued to get this mix too and all mums are fine.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Culling, though it is an important thing to consider in cases like thise one with *very* young mums, it is also something you should think of when planning ahead... can you house all the babies? Can you house *insert number here* of baby males that will need seperating if they fight? If you can't house, can you find nice, knowlegable homes for them?

Personally I would rather cull down my litters than give unwanted/unneeded offspring to a pet shop, or sell them to people i don't know or at least know of.

W xx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi,

YEah mum and babies are doing well. I didn't cull in the end, just kept them well fed and supplemented and monitored them carefully. One mum had 3 and the other had 9 but they shared responsibilities of all of them so it wasn't too much strain for the one who had 9. There were no runts and have all grown up into healthy little things. I rehomed the females within about 2 days (I was lucky; had 8 females and 4 males) and have rehomed one male and the other three are hopefully reserved if nobody pulls out. I've also kept one daughter for myself. It was a bit of a shock at first but it was actually really nice watching them grow and everybody who adopted one commented on how unbelievably tame they are. So all is well thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts