Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think it must be what happens when a mouse has 18 to 24 babies in one litter. How many wombs does a mouse have? Do they all develop in one big uterus?

See, I've added two more questions to the list....aren't I useful?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Mice can and do have twins, but generally there is no way to know because even identical twins will have different appearance and most fanciers cannot afford to do DNA tests on mice. :p

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Rhasputin said:
Even identical twins will have different appearances?
How does that work/make sense? :lol:
Here's how. In the case of identical twins, "identical" refers not to appearance, but to the twins' zygosity (i.e. arising from the same--identical--zygote). Identical twins of any mammal species have slightly or greatly different appearances, while sharing the same DNA. This is possible due to the effects of the environment (prenatal or postnatal). For example, with prenatal environmental differences: in two hypothetical identical twin broken marked mice, one could be black with only a few splotches of white and one could be a near BEW, yet both would be identical twins, from a biological standpoint, even though they looked very different. Or, as an example of postantal environmental differences, two genetically identical Siamese mice kept in different temperature environments, would appear very different after only a couple weeks or so (the one in the warmer environment would have weaker points and probably molt more often). As Katie said, environment affects appearance as much as (or in some cases more than) genes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.