Pet Mice Forum banner

Tortoiseshell

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  tinyhartmouseries 
#1 ·
I think you named it Tortoiseshell? Correct me if i'm wrong :p

Mothers are argente and cinnamon. Father is an agouti.

See less See more
#2 ·
they are brindles.The darker ones are cinnamon brindles,the others appear to be argente brindles.The whitish one looks to be a brindle buck and as it's white and shiney it means they are sex linked brindles.The bucks don't survive and it's best to cull them at birth.You can spot the brindles in the nest at birth by their short curly whiskers.Best to remove the bucks at that point.To produce brindles,the mother must be a brindle it can't be carried by a buck.

#8 ·
we did have tortishell briefly in the Uk many moons ago, the Tortishell had many colours in its coat, and numerous genetical difficulties, so we know the tort as something completly different to brindles. I Remember the First Brindles in the Uk, I think I had two of the original 5, which I paired to some of my stock, which was a favour for a gentleman called Frank Ansell of Cornwall, who came to my Mousery near Weston Super Mare and took them away to Cornwall, from there I believe he spread them around the English Fancy. I cannot recall who supplied the original two mice, it would of been a northern fancier, and i would of picked them up at a manchester show. Something says Dave Bumford had something to do with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.