Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this satin doe (ivory satin), she is one of the two last satin does I got that we had in our country. The other one had a litter with a few satin does. I put the Ivory doe in with a buck the other day and they just had a huge fight :| I had to get in there and remove her which is strange since she lived with this buck and the other satin doe for a long time and they were fine.
I would really like to get a litter from this one so that not all satins in this country comes from ONE satin mouse :|
and she was suppoes to me just months old, not a year old but she seems so old now.
And has always been sneezing a bit (not anyone else with her for a long time). And she is sometimes more nippy (so annoying, sometime she just wants to taste me when I go and say hi to the miceies....she bites but not until it bleeds but sometimes it hurts). Is she just old? Is it possible to let her have one more litter? She is very active, eats well although she is not as fat as the other adult doe and always wants to come out of the cage and play with the other does (I just stopped picking her up because she´s annoying now).

Do you think I should just cull her? And let all the satins in my country come from the same doe?

Perhaps I could try to put her with a buck along with another doe so she get´s some rest from the buck, perhaps he was to excited too see her because he´s been alone for weeks now.

ooohh I wish I could import, just need a housing for a quarantine first :|

·
Registered
103 Posts
from ONE satin mouse
It is no problem... when you have a good strategie... Make a lot of litter... from difference linie.. and cross this litters...

OR make a import from Satin:) It is the best way...

LG Tipex

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I find the babies of old mothers to be weak.I usually don't breed from older does but sometimes with brindles or hairless if the doe is big and strong I will try for a third litter.It nearly always ends in disappointment but sometimes it works out.Shame the old mouse isn't a buck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your answers. Yes I think you are all right, many reasons why not to do it and I think I knew it but sometimes it´s good to hear it from someone else. Then it is deceided :) thanks.
I must try to plan it well on how I breed from Coco (my other satin doe) and the does and bucks from her.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
How do you know there aren't thousands of satin carriers floating around Iceland? Being a recessive allele, satin can be present and not be seen for generations and generations.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
You don't necessarily. That's what makes recessives tricky (ask any show breeder who tries to keep their lines pure, heh).

I think I over-stated the possibility of satin lurking around Iceland, though. If it was hiding in recessive form, it probably wouldn't be thousands. I forget that Iceland has a small population. It might be dozens or hundreds.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I'd say for sure there are carriers there. There must be if there were satins. Or at least, chances are high that there are some, but good luck locating them. :?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Maybe once you get a satin buck, breed him to as many females as possible and keep any satin babies, culling most or all of the standard coated ones. Then you could tell if any of them carried it.

I have never had a satin mouse in my possession on purpose, but they still pop up from time to time in my dove/silver/PEW line. It tends to go months or years without one, then any given litter will produce 2 or 3.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The entire mouse population in my country now is not much more than 100 mice....I am not kidding. So the chances of me finding dozens or hundreds of satin-carriers is no likely. :think
But, yes I think that there is satin in some mice, I have to visit the other breeder (I think we are only 2 left....and yes one other guy with a few mice for feeder breeding) and see if there are satins now.

I will import when possible but in the mean time I do not want to let the mice here dissappear (petshop mice are better than no mice :mrgreen: ) so I try to work with what I´ve got. I am trying to get more satins because the last years they have been dissappearing very fast until I got the last two this summer. When I was breeding mice last time I had beautiful satin BEW´s or Ivory, hope to get them again, they are so beautiful. :mrgreen: that is why I am sad that this BEW /Ivory satin doe will not have a litter (but mine Ivory satin mice were more beautiful than this doe is :lol: ).

Good to know you have still statin popping up Jack, I am sure I have more satin carriers here, just have to find them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts