Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I agree with the sentiments of your post on culling. However, until you've actually shown, you have no right whatsoever to comment on the quality of what's shown or not - you won't know how good your stock is till you show it. If you want to write comments like: "Also I refuse to exhibit maybes and near enoughs and the general crap stock I read about in some of the show reports...." - wait till you've shown. That line is way out of order, whoever you are, and whatever you're breeding. Have you ever shown a mouse? And what is this variety you believe you're reviving, alone?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think the majority of people who have requested access to this section have already come to the realisation that culling is sometimes a necessity, or they wouldn't be here asking questions. I know next to nothing about exhibiting mice so I wont comment much further, its not my place. I just think all your do not breeds were unnecessary overkill and possibly offensive, as I'm sure here we all understand the points you make already and even those of us who've made mistakes are learning. I also find calling breeders who say they get down about culling sometimes liars that shouldn't breed is out of line. Yes some people cull hundreds, but that doesn't mean they can't recognise it as one of the harder things to do every now and then. Having a conscience doesn't make people bad breeders

As you said your "venom" is coming from the fact that you've had a lot of hard work, and I can't help thinking you've vented it in the wrong place here

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
this is my first and possibly only post on here since I do cull and am comfortable with it.I feel no need to explain myself.I have 9 ferrets and feed them exclusively on mice,thats a lot of culling.I do think if you breed mice and rats you need to cull especially if you are a pet/hobby breeder.Pet keepers are obviously sentimental but thats where the problem arises.They still produce inferior unhealthy individuals or buck heavy litters the same as the rest of us.Being unable to cull presents a problem though.Can't /don't want to keep all the rubbish/males.Along comes an unsuspecting newbie,conned into taking a pair of males or six eyed,10 legged freak with all the associated problems.Big unfair headache then develops for the new pet owner.I see on several forums that these self rightous pet keeping breeders use attack as the first line of defence .Fanatical zealots unable to see another side to the debate.Fortunately, we seem so far to have a good bunch of people on hear, that haven't gone down the my way or the high way route.The bottom line for me is that whatever the reason for your breeding,unless you are willing to cull or take responsibility for all the spare males and weak stuff then you shouldn't.Hear end'th my sermon.
Get a life Sarah springs to mind ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts