Pet Mice Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

· Registered
831 Posts
Must say i agree with catwoman Mice lover i'm afraid your on the wrong side of the fence here mate, This forum welcomes feeder breeders with open arms, I would call catwoman a proper breeder even though she breeds to feed her other pets. I'm a show breeder and pet breeder not what i would call a feeder breeder but i wish i was then i wouldnt have to "waste" all my cullings. As a pet breeder i guess you are from your post please do tell me what you plan to do with all the extra bucks from litters? As they dont make the best of pets since they smell more need to be housed alone and are at times more aggressive, or do you plan to palm them off on people that have no idea on mouse keeping like so many other BAD breeders? please dont be as naive as to tell me you dont have a problem with rehoming bucks or do you plan on keeping every single one? would take a hell of alot of room considering there a 50% chance with every mouse born for it to be a buck. If you intend to cull them why shouldnt they go to use feeding another animal instead of ending up in the bin like sadly mine do. (ps anyone in the northeast who wants free culled mice please let me know)

· Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Think its all been said, thanks everyone who has put 'mice-lover' right.

the bottom line is this forum welcomes feeder breeders.

Good job really seen as though i feed my culled mice to my snakes too.

end of discussion methinks. :)

· Registered
2,977 Posts
Artunature, you can always donate your culled mice to your local zoo. They would probably love to have them. :)
Or if you have a falconer near-by, they would probably love to have them! Or ferret breeder! Ferrets just love mice. :)

· Registered
831 Posts
no zoo's sadly but i sure will have a look around for a falconer or ferret breeder i hate seeing waste..

· Registered
61 Posts
SarahY said:
Well if your a feeder breeder thats fine but why talk about it on the fancy Mice Breeders Club?
How about join a site just for feeder breeders.
Being a feeder breeder is not much different to being a show breeder. Show breeders cull a lot of mice, it comes with the territory. I cull all of my mice in the end, I don't have the space to keep old-timers. I stilll love my mice. Most, if not all, of the feeder breeders on here love their mice and treat them extremely well.

I believe that humane culling is part of any responsible breeder's duty. Being a breeder is so much more than than just raising animals and EVERYONE is welcome here to learn and share.

If you don't agree with feeder breeding I would suggest just not reading the parts of the forum where it's discussed ;)

Sarah xxx
Ok i am NOT a show breeder and i deffently do not cull my mice and i don't intend to.
I am on this website because i do have some mice that i am unsure of the colours and
patterns and i would like to know more about. I take this site as learning for me.
I wouldnt say i am a breeder just yet because i dont do it that often, it's just like
a little hobby for me and they are my babies that i love alot. Now if i started to be a reptile
breeder i couldn't feed my mice to my reptile the only thing i could do is buy frozen rats/mice for them.

· Premium Member
3,476 Posts
I wasn't saying you were a show breeder, I was just pointing out that the majority of people here cull their mice and most of those feed them to other animals.

It's really great that you love your mice so much, but as moustress so rightly said, this forum was originally designated for all breeders of mice for all purposes. In the time I've been a member here only you and two other members have objected. There are plenty of pet forums out there for pet only breeders and keepers.

Sarah xxx

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Great thing, to rehabilitate wildlife. My dad picked up an injured crow from the shoulder of the road when I was about 11; it was a great feeling to see him fly away when he was released. We fed him minnows and fish guts, as my mom was totally afraid of rodents. Even a dead one would have her standing on a chair shrieking like her knickers were on fire.

· Registered
199 Posts
mice-lover said:
Now if i started to be a reptile
breeder i couldn't feed my mice to my reptile the only thing i could do is buy frozen rats/mice for them.
So, you disrespect feeder breeders for what they do, but you would be willing to pay those same people to do it for you? Seems a bit hypocritical, don't you think?

· Registered
62 Posts
Besides, those who usually supply feeders to pet shops usually run big warehouse breeding facilities where the animals don't get any socialization and often live in dirty, crowded conditions. I think its better to breed your own so that you get to decide the kind of life they live :)

· Registered
61 Posts
ok well it's different buying frozen rats/mice because it's not your pet
it is something that is already dead and yes snakes do have to eat so
i would buy frozen rats/mice for it because i couldn't feed my own pets
to a snake just because it needs to eat or that my mouse was old age..

· Premium Member
5,218 Posts
It's an odd logic that you find it acceptable to use animals that may have suffered poor care whilst pointing a finger at people who do maintain high standards of husbandry.A key point here is 'pets'.I personally don't have any pet mice.The mice do not need to be my pets either.They are happy doing their own thing.I still provide a good standard of care for them.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Now if i started to be a reptile
breeder i couldn't feed my mice to my reptile the only thing i could do is buy frozen rats/mice for them.[/quote]

That's my attitude exactly. I would never want to see one of my mousies who were hand raised to trust the human hand, fed live to a reptile or any other animal. I think that would be such a betrayal of trust that it's unthinkable. And I think live feeding of rodents to reptiles is a terrible and avoidable thing. Pts'ing and then feeding to reptiles is the way to go.

(I apparently don't know how to get a quote in a little box....)

· Registered
831 Posts
Hmmm the subjects changed lol this wasnt a post about live feeding for one in some places its illegal and two no one on here i know of live feeds. they breed then cull then feed. Please guys dont jump to conculsions and change the subject to fit your ideals. You dont agree with breeding to feed thats fine, but alot here do belive in it and find a massive benefit to it. This forum is welcoming to these breeders, show breeders and pet breeders please lets not let this get on to a subject about morale's. understand each has there own way and leave it like that, you dont like rereading about it? simple close the thread and move on to the next or turn of the computer these simple actions will save alot of misunderstanding and arguements.

· Registered
517 Posts
ok i think mice lover is missing the point of everyones post after theirs.....

Just because we "feeder-breeders" raise and breed WITH the intent to feed them to our own pet reptiles doesnt make us bad people. You would rather buy a mouse that might have been put in the freezer ALIVE (yes some do do this) than see to it that your own mice didnt suffer nearly as much with other forms of death so to speak. I have read many reptile forums and i tell you its sometimes gruesome to hear what these people do to mice prior to feeding.

-smack them against a wall, hit them on the head with a blunt object, freeze them, suffocate them, make them bleed somewhat to entice a reptile more.... etc
The more humane way of course being to CO2 them or as i do live feedings since mine refuses prekilled. at least if the snake grabs it its much quicker than say freezing to death.

I have to agree with everyone else here just because you dont like it doesnt mean that EVERYONE does it the same as for me i treat every mouse whether its alive for 1 day or 3 weeks with the most spoiling treatment possible as i care for all my animals and wouldnt be able to not treat them kindly just because they will be lunch or dinner for another pet

I personally would prefer to raise my own that way I KNOW my snake is getting the most healthy possible meal instead of possibly dying or getting very sick from a contaminated mouse i could buy from the store.

and i for one am i think one of the most gratified and happiest mouse owner to have stumbled accross such a rare welcoming forum if you join a reptile site you hear a lot of riff raff here everyone tries to help everyone. which is terrific i have learned more in the course of a few weeks on this site than i ever had the chance of learnign on a herper site.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.