Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
steve, what is the pig/horse pellets? i am curious.

cait, did used to use a rabbit mix in your own mix? i'm still using a rabbit mix with oats and bird seed and dog kibble added, but there are parts they dont seem like in the rabbit mix...

· Registered
341 Posts
sounds all good to me, i guess its just working out what works best for you and yours :D

steve, i was asking about the pellets as i have horses so it could be cheaper for me to feed if it was worth it, there are so many different kinds of 'horse pellets' that i wonder which type, i would imagine just standard pony nuts. might be something to look into

has anyone else had any experience of feeding horse type food to mice?

ps. my mice also go mental for lactol :D

· Registered
341 Posts
yeah thats 'pasture mix' which if i feed to my connemara she goes mental and has too much energy so depending on the type of mix (some are called cool-with no oats and other things that hot the horse up,) i'd be more worried about if it sent my mice mental, i mean a horse is big, i'm imagining a mouse on caffine here!! :lol:

let me know how you get on with it, i've never really considered feeding my mice what my horses eat as i have to be so careful what i feed the horses as the slightest change or different ingredients makes such a huge difference to their weight behaviour and apearence i thought that the horse feed might be too extreme for the mice.

the wild mice in our stable never seemed to mind pony nuts (pellets) :lol: i suppose they are alot less spoilt than my domestics

· Registered
341 Posts
(i dont think theres actually caffine in the feed! just how my horse acts!!) but i'm really interested in this as i could potentially save some money as i have to buy horse feed anyway,

i have a welsh sec B whose getting on in her years (first pony so now a stable mate) and she has an allen and page feed called 'old faithfull' which is designed to be easy to eat and no pellets and to maintain her weight as she gets skinny in winter, it sounds like it could be ideal as its a 'cool' type feed so doesnt have anything in it to energize her, bless her.

its about £10 a sack, which is about the same price as a sack of rabbit food,

cait - do you think something like this could work, and what would u suggest adding to it, just something for protein, or still the bird seed mix too?

could there be any adverse effects?

(ps- fae, how nice does pasture mix smell! :D )

· Registered
341 Posts
ah, so hot is a good thing for the mice then, well they are more hardcore than my horses then :oops:

in that case would the hotter be the better?

check out allen and pages website, they do about a zillion different types, we've used about 4 or 5 of theres over time

http://www.allenandpage.com/products.htm

how about this for pregnant mummies?! :lol:

"Stud & Youngstock Mix
Keeping The Family Fit

* Formulated to meet the higher nutritional demands of broodmares during pregnancy and lactation.
* Can also be used to feed working stallions and growing foals and youngstock.

Stud & Youngstock Mix, which has elevated levels of micronutrients is usually fed in the last three months of gestation and during lactation. It is also suitable for working stallions, foals, yearlings and two-year olds, including natives and warmbloods. Protexin is included which may help maintain healthy digestive and immune function, particularly at times of stress such as when travelling, foaling or during weaning."

(pasture mix doesnt taste too bad) :lol:

· Registered
341 Posts
yeah, silly website, cant find the ingredients online so i'll have to try to remember to look at the sack tomorrow at the crack of dawn before work whilst wrestling with hungry monkeys (horses) :roll:

sorry mark!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.