Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my does recently stopped nursing her litter on the 17th and I've noticed what looks like a tumor on her second to last set of nipples. The area around her nipple is somewhat hard and in the shape of a ball just in front of her hind leg. Does anybody know what this might be and whether it can be treated or not?

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
if its a cyst it can be lanced,if it's a tumour only surgery could help but that is expensive and probably fatal in itself.Mammary tumours can be hereditary so any that get them shouldnt be part of any future breeding plans.Generally they can be left to live their lives ,they dont seem to cause pain.Eventually they either grow to huge for the mouse to move around comfortably or the mouse loses condition and then its time to cull.If you arent of a sentimental nature any that produce lumps can be culled as soon as a litter is weaned.Depends on the breeders individual ethics.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I won't be breeding her again or any of this line since this is the second problem that's arose in just two generations. As long as she doesn't start suffering, I'll keep her around. If it does turn out to be a cyst, how would I know and I'm guessing to lance it, a vet would need to do it?

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
cysts are soft and get a bit of a weeping scab on them eventually.Tumours are harder and often knobbly.Woodwitch might have lancing advice.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked her over today and the area is much smaller though still kind of hard. There's a yellowish scab on the side of it now. Does this mean it might just be a cyst? Could it be possible that the scab was self inflicted?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One other question, is it better to put her into a separate, sterile dwelling so there's less of a chance for the wound to get infected or does it not matter either way?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's healing well so far, it's a dry scab and I'll continue to keep an eye on it. She's still doing good too. Thanks so much for the help. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts