Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am judging at both these shows in October. I hope some of you new members, and non members can make it to one or the other or even both! The "Swindon" show is actually in Hermitage Berkshire, not far from Newbury, and is always a good day out. The Preston show is in...well....Preston!. Again the guys that run the show there do a cracking job, and theres a pub next door. The Swindon show is on the 16th oct , Preston is the following sat 23rd.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I'll be showing at Swindon and my mice will be making an appearance at Preston without me, courtesy of SarahC (thank you!)

I'm really looking forward to Swindon, it's a really lovely show in a beautiful village with a picturesque pub up the road. I especially love the way that the pen numbers are all set out on the tables so everyone knows where their mice are going :)

See you there!

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
and just to big Preston up a bit,it's next door to a pub that does a Saturday carvery for £3.50 .We will be in there for lunch and mouse chat.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
mmmm carvery, thats me in the pub then! :)

can't wait to meet you Phil and Sarah and my mice will be making their first outing.

do you transport your mice in the maxey's (if so what about water?)

cheers

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I would love to go to a Swindon show one day... would have gone this time, if only to have a chat with mousey friends... but unfortunately the 16th is a weekend I am working, and I can't get out of it, its the only weekend in Oct I AM working! LOL

Plus, I may have issues getting there.

Preston, well... i'm off, but there is no chance of me getting there AT ALL, unless I get a plane. *Laughs*

W xx

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Shiprat said:

do you transport your mice in the maxey's (if so what do you use for water
slice of cucumber or carrot(not carrot for light colours in case it stains the coat)or bread soaked in water and squeezed so that it's just moist.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
WillowDragon said:

Preston, well... i'm off, but there is no chance of me getting there AT ALL, unless I get a plane. *Laughs

W xx
if you do ever make the journey and have a free weekend you could always make the short trip from Preston to Blackpool.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
SarahC said:
Shiprat said:

do you transport your mice in the maxey's (if so what do you use for water
slice of cucumber or carrot(not carrot for light colours in case it stains the coat)or bread soaked in water and squeezed so that it's just moist.
thought so, but wanted to make sure. Thanks Sarah. I'm sooo nervous!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hot tip- get a unsliced loaf of white bread, and make a box that it just fits in, make a small hole in the side(of loaf ) put show mice in box,loaf should fill box so they have to go in hole.Mice will tunnel through inside of loaf. Fabulous coats is the result. On arrival at show, pick the one that looks best. YOU SHOULD TRY THIS AT HOME FIRST.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
I'll be back. said:
Hot tip- get a unsliced loaf of white bread, and make a box that it just fits in, make a small hole in the side(of loaf ) put show mice in box,loaf should fill box so they have to go in hole.Mice will tunnel through inside of loaf. Fabulous coats is the result. On arrival at show, pick the one that looks best. YOU SHOULD TRY THIS AT HOME FIRST.
mmmm sounds mad! i'll give it a try! :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
you just need to time it so that they are still burrowing through it on way to show! all it does is super grooms the mice. On another subject of wet food in maxies, there was a slight winge about it many years ago as it more or less identified the fact that certain maxeys belonged to the same fancier.I always used to dress each maxey differently i.e. different bedding food etc in maxeys entered in the same class. I have on occasion won three or four sections at one show, and when the BIS lineup is on the table, you suddenly realise that three of your maxeys are identicle out of the five, same bedding etc, it can identify your mice as a group. This of course is not a problem at all, as the best mice will win.

I never, ever, used any wet items at all in my Maxeys. You may get away with it on lots of occasions but it wont be long before your best mouse makes a mess of it and it spoils the coat, usually as the challenges are coming out. The thing to do is use several different types of Grain, and soak thease under water for about 12 hours before the show. Night before the show wash the grain off, and leave in the open air to surface dry. The grain will now be about 70 percent water,and will of slghtly swolen up. it will keep the mice looking plump all day,in with the bread ad milk in a ball for the way home. Happy mousing.

·
Registered
623 Posts
just a quick warning about using soaked grain in your maxies, you have actually started the into growth process of the grain, and unless you carry on that process, to turn it into sprouting grain (very high nutritional value) it will turn to mould very quickly,so whhen home, as you take the mouse out, empty the maxey and throw away the grain, all will be well. (or by the next show your maxeys will have a foot of green stems growing through the bars or a very interesting looking mould living in there)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts