Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is all my fault because I gave my cousin two little mice, that i was 100% sure were males because neither had nipples, but SURPRISE!! she just called me and told me they had babies...I am going to take the mom and the little ones and try and find good homes for all of them...possibly keep some of them. but really...I wonder what they will look like. there is a tri colored black white and yellow, and a black and white marked. I wonder what the babies will look like...

I'll keep you updated...

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Well, that sounds like almost too much fun! The black, white and yellow one can't be a tri color; it just can't. You must mean a marked yellow brindled mousie. Are you set up to post pix? If you have an actual calico I'll eat the rest of my bale of aspen bedding.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the mouse is almost all black except one spot that is on its face, and his belly that has some white as well. The spot has yellow and white...I only have a picture of when it was young but i will post it. I have no clue what coloring it is :] but he is cute.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
That's pretty amazing *chomp* *need more water with this stuff**yum**loaded with fiber-good for me*...

You still have this mouse?

It probably won't breed true; I had a champagne mousie about five years ago that had an orange spot on it's flank. these things just happen; it's known as a 'sport" or a random occurence....there have been genuine calico type tris, but even those are hit and miss with the right mix of genes. http://www.hiiret.fi/eng/breeding/varie ... color.html There's the link to the full scoop.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HAHA you didn't actually have to eat it. No i don't have him anymore i gave him to my cousin, and since it is such a random occurrence, i doubt ill ever get another :] But glad she has him now.
Wow thats a true calico O.O I only know about calico cats, and did you know that calico are only female? I wonder why and if that would also happen with mice if it was a sure breed.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Cats have a different mechanism that produces calico than do mice. Theirs is sex-linked. Mice have dozens of ways to get three-colored animals, only one of which is sex-linked and it's not the same as with cats.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Sex-linked brindle. It's also called "xbrindle" and (confusingly), simply "brindle." When compared with white spotting of any sort, it can make mice with three distinct colors. Only females survive and reproduce.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Jack Garcia said:
Cats have a different mechanism that produces calico than do mice. Theirs is sex-linked. Mice have dozens of ways to get three-colored animals, only one of which is sex-linked and it's not the same as with cats.
But even with cats it doesnt always stay sex-linked. I have seen a few male calicos in my lifetime. One of which was on my aunts farm- he died when he was 3 months old tho :( poor little thing

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Yeah, in sex-linked varieties, one gender usually doesn't make it very often, if at all.

Interestingly, there are sex-linked variants in humans, too, like many forms of colorblindness, which occur almost exclusively in men. :p

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Women have two X chromosomes, so if something is wrong on one of them, the other can "make up" for the lack. But men only have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome so if something is wrong with either one, we're out of luck!

That's why in sex-linked brindle mice, females live. One X chromosome is deficient in copper production, which leads to the mottled coat pattern, and the other X chromosome can make up for the one that doesn't work right and do right by the body's copper requirements. :p

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When i read this stuff i am truly amazed!!

I took a bio technology class once where i got to work with gels and it was one of the most enjoyable classes i have ever taken.

Sometimes i wonder why i went in to art instead of bio technology.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
The reason calico cats are almost always girls is because the coloring for orange and black is carried on the X gene, so calicos have one orange X and one black X. Boys, being XY, can only be either black or orange. The rare male calico is an XXY, so they are often infertile or have other health problems.

Took an animal breeding class and we all had presentations. I did mine on mice. OSmeone else did theirs on calicos.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Autumn2005 said:
The reason calico cats are almost always girls is because the coloring for orange and black is carried on the X gene, so calicos have one orange X and one black X. Boys, being XY, can only be either black or orange. The rare male calico is an XXY, so they are often infertile or have other health problems.

Took an animal breeding class and we all had presentations. I did mine on mice. OSmeone else did theirs on calicos.
Autumn, you beat me to it! LOL

W xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
jujubee18 said:
When i read this stuff i am truly amazed!!

I took a bio technology class once where i got to work with gels and it was one of the most enjoyable classes i have ever taken.

Sometimes i wonder why i went in to art instead of bio technology.
Same here. I'm in the human services field, yet my real passion has always been biology.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.