Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Thanks for writing all that, it's very interesting to find out your experiences with them. So what sort of size tank is about right for a pair and do you leave them together all the time or do you separate them like fancies? Also if you do leave them together how often do they have litters? Finally, when you do have to handle them, for example to move them or sex the babies, can you pick them up by the tail - I think I heard that they can shed their tails like gerbils?

· Premium Member
3,073 Posts
NaomiR said:
when I got my harvest mice I was totally convinced I would be able to handle them but I've since realised 2 things, (1) I can't and (2) they don't want me to :lol:
I did try to tell you :lol: At least they can be picked up by the tail and let you stroke them though, mine also take food from my hand. If I hold it they will sit and nibble the other side and/or pull bits off. I think we understand each other - I don't bother you and you let me watch you :roll:

· Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Some species are not that far removed from their wild state and it seems cruel to try and tame them to human standards. I think there are some animals that should be observation only - why stress them out?

· Premium Member
3,073 Posts
The down side of not being able to handle animals in the traditional sense is of course treating them if they're ill becomes very difficult. Unless you could put medication in their food I imagine that the stress it would cause could cause even more damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.