Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what my buck, Dante, might be colorwise? He is from a Cinnamon x Dove Fox pairing. I can't find any pics of anything else that resembles him, exactly. The closest thing I can find is Stone, but he has a darker back and almost a ticking-type coloring that resembles Agouti to me, albeit very light. Is there such a thing as Stone Agouti? He has black eyes.

Here he is, please excuse his healing owies on his back. His brother decided he did not want to live with him anymore. :( He is healing very nicely on his own now, though! Apologize for the crappy pics again. I have GOTTA learn how to properly use the settings on this camera!! :roll: :oops:

I am also wondering if he is not too horrible for coming from American pet-type stock? I have been trying to breed for better type. I am getting some bigger/better ears, I think! ;) And deff better size! I will not be showing them or anything. They're nothing compared to the beauties you guys have over in the UK! :? ;) It's just a personal goal of mine to try to improve type in my meece. :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I love him! :D He's a big sweetie pie. He was born May 26th, so he's about 8 weeks old and around 50 grams, so I guess that's a pretty decent size? I know he's quite a bit bigger than my foundation buck. Thanks again for your kind comments. I'm just hoping I'm heading in the right direction as far as type, as it's new to me, as well!

·
Registered
584 Posts
It's hard to see from the pictures but is the colour even all over, or does he have darker shading at the rump and round the face. Just he looks a little like a siamese who is starting to shade up....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Julie, his coloring is not even. He does have darker shading around the rump and head area, but no actual 'points' to speak of and he's about 8 weeks old.... I don't know his genetic background too far back, but I know that in the past 2-3 generations of his family that I've had there have been no Siams, Himis, or anything pointed or the like. Don't know if that's something that can just pop up? Thanks for posting, Julie!

Thank you, Sarah. So does that mean that he's considered a Stone Chinchilla? Or that he's just a Stone and carries the Chinchilla gene? I'm a bit confused by some of this stuff. lol If it were Great Danes or Leopard Geckos, I could tell you what the genetics were all day long.... :lol: But not the meece! :oops: I shall learn eventually! I guess that's what this is all about, huh? ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heres one more pic. I hope it's more clear. I was playing with camera settings a bit. I really need Shawn to teach me how to use this dang thing! I never think of it 'til he's at work. :roll:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I find it hard to get my head round the fact that chinchilla can be carried, as it's different in rats! When the chinchilla gene is not fully expressed in rats, you get half chins which look more agouti, so would that mouse be described as a half chin or is there no such equivalent? The colour is quite attractive, sort of argenteish in a band down up the back, but with dark eyes.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I'm probably using the word carrying wrongly.I'm not into genetics at all but I do have chinchilla crosses so can speak from resulting breeding experience.The chin crosses are indeed shades of agouti,some quite strong coloured and some a bleached lilacish colour.Bred together they produce mixes of pale bleached effect colours.I'm only messing about with them but have had a few that look similar to the one in the picture which I like and of course some strange coloured foxes.There is no doubt that the chinchilla effect is producing these individuals.Its a bit of interesting fun for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you again, Sarah. That makes more sense to me now. I really rather like the color, as well. :D I've just put him in with a related doe. Can't wait to see what I get!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts