Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know how sometimes when a mouse has a litter, there are one or two who are curled around still, more fetal-looking, smaller, and usually dead? What is this called? I don't think it can simply be called being born prematurely because the others in the litter are usually fine. Is this a still-birth, even when they are alive?

What causes it?

I had a litter born today where that happened, and I'd like to know the technical term for it so I can learn more about it.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I imagine it was a baby that die in utero and wasn't expelled until the birth of its siblings. So really it would be classed as a miscarriage.

It happens in humans that fetus' can stay inside, they are usually removed. It happened to me once many years ago, i suffered a miscarriage, I should have been 4 months along, but there was really nothing much there, the doctor thinks the baby died very early and just stayed inside.

W xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no, that's pretty awful. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Stina (for those who don't know is a mutual friend of ours who went to vet school) said that in cats and rabbits, a mother can be pregnant with two litters at the same time and that if that happens, the litter who was conceived second doesn't get to develop fully.

She didn't know if that could or does happen with mice, though.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Hmm... I imagine it would be possible, and again, its possible in humans too. I have twin brothers, they were concieved a month apart because my mum carried on ovulating even though she had already fallen pregnant. Guess its a good job it wasn't more than a month apart!

And don't worry about it, my pregnancy was a shock to me and something I wasn't ready for, sometimes now it makes me sad, but it was totally for the best. It wasn't meant to be.

W xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woah, were they born at the same time?

This is kind of getting off-track, but I heard of a case where the couple used in-vitro fertilization to get pregnant and the fertilized egg split in the petri dish. One baby was born and then two years later, another one, and they were identical twins. That kind of stuff is so crazy to think about.

Do you happen to know what it's called when the mother's body keeps ovulating after she is already pregnant?

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Its called hyperovulation and quite rare, but she got pregnant with the 'older' twin three days after coming off birth control pills, so her hormones were all over the place.

And yes, they were born on the same day, but very obviously at different stages of development. Timothy (The older twin) was a nice healthy screamer with a head full of hair and 6lb 2oz... Stuart (The younger) was skinny, furry, bald headed, jaundiced and curled in the fetal position for a few days after birth, and he was 4lb 1oz

W xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad they were ok. Not being a female, I don't particularly think about these sorts of things in relation to humans a lot. It's so fascinating, though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts