Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my satin does (Agouti Variegated/marked) just had a litter, in the same cage is a BEW satin doe (BEI?) that I think is too old to have babies (don´t know her age but she spent a long time with a male and nothing happened and she is beginning to look a little old.

Anyway, yeserday evening I saw that the mom was slim and heard some squeaking so the litter was born (had not checked on them since the evening before so the babies could be born then). I see the mom running and having some food and I just go to sleep. This morning she is out of the nest and just haning around the cage. This evening she is still hanging around the cage, I feed her new food and she wants to come out of the cage to me and I let her do that, run a little bit around on me, then I give her a peace of egg-packaging carton to play with and she starts to play with it in the cage.

Then I leave her alone and start to clean the other two cages I have as well as playing with my BEW trio. After that time she is still hanging around the cage and just playing with the egg carton. Then I realize that I haven´t seen the BEW doe since the babies were born, she is in the nest ALL THE TIME, all day and yesterday but the mom is never.

So I have been waiting for these babies for SOOO long I feel :) so I can´t lose these babies. I want to take a peek at the nest since the mom is not at all nervous and I am afraid that the BEW doe has taken the babies away from the mom so I do it. I carefully take some of the nesting stuff away and there is the BEW doe sleeping with all the babies, I try to show her a tiny bit of cheese (only food I had that could be a tiny treat) and she isn´t interested and won´t let anything disturb her, she doesn´t seem to mind me but just won´t move. So I just try to watch and I see that one of the baby has milk in her stomach so perhaps the babies are ok?
I think the BEW doe had definetly had babies before at the place where I got her (from a colony cage) unless she is infertile...which I have not seen in mice here before so...unlikely.

What do you think?
Will they be ok until tomorrow night (long work day tomorrow, all day and evening)
Is it normal for the mom to be so long out of the nest all the time?
I´ve only had colony breeding before so I am not sure how this is with only 2 does in a huge cage.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
You'd better check to see if the babies are being fed. If they milk bellies, then it'll probably work out....if not, well, you're gonna either have have to put the other doe in a different tank. I hope the babies are OK.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just checked, they have milk bellies, must check back in the morning.

The BEW doe finally came out when I was taking a look and started cleaning herself and was willing to come to me, the mom was too interested about getting out of the cage, I put her on/in the nest a few times but she didn´t want to go in there, just try to go to me. Strange....

The babies seem fine, sleeping together with white bellies (not huge bellies though...long time since I saw a pinkie last time..) and not squeaking much. Hope mom doesn´t want to go in just because the babies are not hungry.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been told that mouse moms will not spend a ton of time with the babies, but will make sure they are fed and sometimes, not much more then that. Mouse 'nannies', however, can spend all day with the babies keeping them warm and clean. As long as they have milk bellies everyday, they should be OK. :) It is always a good idea to check though, as some nannies that have had litters before, can baby snatch.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yay! Mom is now in the nest with nanny and babies :D so glad, finally, the babies must have some milk then, will check again tonight if I see milk bellies just in case, don´t want to disturb their sleep now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, yes i think it will be ok, checked this evening and they had milk in their bellies and the BEW doe was outside of the nest and then mom came out. The babies seemd fine so I´ll check on them when they are a bit older, now I wish I had them in a rub box because then I could see through the bottom which is clear how many they are and stuff, I´ll just have to wait :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, I just realized that she arrived to me 18.july and had her babies 14.august....so she was not pregnant when I received here...so I know the father of this litter :D time goes by fast, she has been living with a BEW buck this time so he must be the only possible father. Yay, then I can try to figure out what the doe carries :D

Do you think that the BEW female that is with the mom can not have babies since she was the same amount of time with the buck but is not pregnant?

·
Registered
834 Posts
not sure he many have just been too tired to mate successfully with the both of them lol

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They were together for 3 weeks and 3 days at least....he must be pretty lazy for all that time haha ;D

·
Registered
834 Posts
hehe he may have fancyed the other more i'd still try just the two of them together some 'alone' time before i'd class her as barren. i think i read somewhere someone had a doe for over a year and a half with a buck with no babys then all of a sudden bundle of pink lol

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok good to know! Yeah perhaps he´s just not into BEW girls haha :lol: maybe I will try another male

·
Registered
834 Posts
worth ago lol picky men typical

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Is the other doe, the BEW, fat? They usually are as they are often yellow meeces, just marked all over, and yellows are prone to obesity. And that makes it very difficult for a buck to reach around under to make the connection.

·
Registered
834 Posts
lol moustress i understand what your saying i'm just having a hard time stopping myself from laughing, keep getting image's .... ahaha

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
moustress said:
Is the other doe, the BEW, fat? They usually are as they are often yellow meeces, just marked all over, and yellows are prone to obesity. And that makes it very difficult for a buck to reach around under to make the connection.
She is actually thinner than the agouti marked/variengated/broken doe (haha not sure of her color yet). She is just medium and not fat at all.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just checked out the babies again an they look very good :D some will be BEWs and some will have markings :D although they will have similar markings as the mother, white mark on the head that reaches to the back, that was not a good marking I was reading here but we will see :) can´t wait to see if there are any satins :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts