Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have decided that I'll be ready to take up another variety alongside my doves towards the end of the year, and I've chosen chocolate self. I have a few options for starting the line, and I just want some advice as to which is the best way of going about it.

1) I could get chocolate selfs in from someone - but does anyone know of any good chocolate self breeders? I don't know of any, there doesn't seem to be any in the yearbook and I never see chocolate selfs in the show reports in NMC news. It's weird because chocolate seems quite popular in marked and tans.

2) I could get in chocolate tans and black selfs, I know of a few successful breeders of both. Then I could cross them together and weed out the tans and blacks that show up, but I think this is likely to leave me with a lot of work to clean up vents, not to mention the fact that this is a big outcross bringing two seperate lines together, and as most of you have probably gathered, I'm not that big on outcrossing :)

3) My dove line has thrown both champagnes and blacks recently - if I mated these together I could separate out the chocolate and work on it from there. This means a few more litters, but I know the line and the mice, and I've worked really hard at cleaning up vents and stuff so any chocolates bred from them shouldn't have those problems. I just don't know what kind of effect having a champagne ancestry will have on the resultant chocolate colour?

At the moment, option 3 is my preferred one, but if anyone can suggest anything else or thinks options 1 or 2 might be better, please let me know!

Sarah xxx

Edited for grammar :)

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I'd discount the idea of extracting them from tans.A nightmare to clear the vent.Cham x black is the way to make chocs so that would be o.k as long as you're patient.There are at least two people with self chocs if you want to get stock in.They are like blues in as much as no one has produced a line of top mice yet.It could be you ;)

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I wouldn't do it Sarah - you're already working on doves, which is going to take a long time. You haven't shown yet and i know you will at some point, but it would be better to get something already available, preferably something in a different category from your doves. It is not advisable to go from zero experience to making two varieties. Just because something already exists does not mean it will be an easy choice to work with, which is why no one wins all the time, it's just as challenging as creating a variety.
Heather :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you two :)

It's most vexing that no-one else seems to like my favourites. As I have mentioned before, I think it's really important to be passionate about what you're breeding and for me there aren't many colours that really stand above the others in terms of beauty. And none at all as gorgeous as dove, obviously :D

I think I'll be patient and start a chocolate line when I have a successful stud of doves. Making unpopular varieties from scratch does require a lot of space and a lot of kittens born, as I've learnt from the doves.

I do want to take up another variety though, so I'm going to go and have another think :)

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
it's not that people don't like them,it's because it's more difficult to win with them.Dove in particular is open to interpretation of what is the correct colour.It doesn't put me off but some people are v.v.v. competetive and have varieties that are more likely to win best in show.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I would just like to stick my hand up and say that I adore Dove selfs... especially in satin :)

Definately my favourite colour of mouse! ;)

Willow xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts