Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello just looking for some tips on how to start up... i only have a small space (a corner of my rabbit shed is currently home to hamsters... and im gonna squeeze a few mouse boxes in there... but im sure theyll slowly take over) and ive done the crazy thing of not being able to talk myself out of my favourite variety ... siamese... i nearly bought some several years ago at the big stafford show... but somehow the guy on the stall talked me out of it lol and scared me with all the culling... well i have another 5 years of rabbit breeding under my belt and hey i love mices... even if ill never have anything to show... i love all the shaded colours (and yes i know the moult pit fall... theyre the closet related colours to my chosen rabbit breed :lol: ) but i'm keeping them mainly for myself and showing as a second... anyway im rambling...

so ive chosen the colour im starting with (i have a list of other i want to add... but im forcing myself to stay small untill my last few old hammies have died off) and my theory is to start with just a trio... 'mess about' for a couple of generations untill i get the hang of things and know what im aiming for then re-asses what i have and look to bring in a 2nd line to add what i need (just going off what i'd do with the rabbits) ... is this a fair way to go or would you suggest sticking to just one breeder... also any ideas or suggestions on who i should get in touch with to track down some starter mice ??

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Hi,if your heart is set on siamese and you want ones with the potential for show ,then I can only think of one person and they are in Cumbria.I'll pm you his details if its any use,not sure how far it is away from you.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Just to add that if you do want to show siamese, you may need more of them than say, a self, because of the moulting issues. If you are going to be culling your litters then breed them as if for show right from the start if you intend to eventually do this or you will have to start all over again when you eventually show. If you don't want to cull then it doesn't matter where you get siamese from as it's doubtful you'll produce many with show potential, especially if you have to either keep or find homes for most mice in an average sized litter of, say, 10. I hope that made sense!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks i have no problem 'thinning' young litters down to a few, i will be breeding with the intention of improving what i have... which will hopefully result in something good enough to show, im looking forward to finding out more at bradford and hopefully checking out what a good mouse looks like in the flesh, as really ive only got my own picture in my head lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks :) i actually have that printed and stuck on the wall in my shed :oops: ... just wanna see a really good mouse in the flesh so to speak... although i've hovered around the mouse section at london and bradford for a few years... it was only a matter of time really

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.