Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I breed a small colony of feeders and pets. I had two four month old females(A &B) breeding together. One(A) had a litter of ten three days ago and it looked like the other (B) didn't take. But now she(B) is getting big. I am a bit short on cage space would it be better to leave them(A &B) together or separate them. If I separate them then i will have to leave the male in the cage of the female(C) he is currently breeding. She(C) has only been with him for two days.

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
No definitive answer to that. If you leave the does together the new babies may be eaten, OR, it may work and be ok. There IS a big risk involved. If you separate them, the risk is vastly reduced. It depends how important the babies all are to you as to how much risk you take.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do this sometimes, but in my experience it's a bit hit and miss. I've not had babies munched because of it but the biggest problem I find is the bigger babies hogging the milk and the younger ones struggling. The younger ones, if they do make it to weaning, tend to be weaker and slower growing. Quite honestly, I often thin out the second litter if I have to have staggered litters in the same cage, but I much, much prefer to just keep some smaller spare cages on hand for cases such as this. The doe can then raise her younger litter in peace and the babies have more of a chance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts