Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a good collection of fancy mice, but i keep looking at pics of Spiny mice. I wondered do they make good pets? can they be handled like normal fancy mice? easy to keep?

I've searched them a bit on the internet, but fail to gain good clear answers, so i thought where better to ask?! :lol:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
They make good pets, but they have some special needs. To do well long-term, they need a heat lamp and a slightly different diet (higher in protein if I remember correctly). I traveled with about a million of them (or so it seemed) to the last Rodent Fest. They are weird but cute little critters. :p

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The only big big difference, is that you can't pick them up by the tails! Or they'll fall off! :p

A warm room, or a heat lamp is good for them too. No drafty spaces.
I just keep mine in my animal room, which is always quite warm. :)

They also, from my experience, LOVE TO CHEW. I gave my male a fancy-pants set up with sand, and desert themed stuff, and fake plants . . . He chewed all of the leaves off of the fake plants, and built a nest with them. :roll:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
It's also more difficult to sex them, as males aren't as "gifted" as are normal male mice. It's also harder to neuter them. I know a male spiny who was (supposed to have been) neutered but then got his cagemate pregnant!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've owned 1 spiny mouse doe. I felt sorry for her and bought her. She was the last one left, had no tail(just a stub) and both ears were ripped badly.
I had her for almost a year before she passed away. I never used a heat lamp though. (When I had her, they was hardly anything about them on the internet)
She was a great pet :)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Rhasputin said:
I didn't have any problem sexing mine. :eek:
The males I've seen, have a dark patch on their testicles, so it's pretty easy to identify males from females, even when the 'bits' are pulled up inside.
Yeah, my impression is that pulling them up inside is what makes it difficult to sex them sometimes, as females can have a dark genital area, too. It's also what makes them more difficult to neuter than regular mice: even when they're unconscious, they pull their testicles in! :p

It's a side-effect, I think, of cold temperatures. At least, it feels cold to them. If you keep them warm, it's easier to sex them but of course all operating rooms are naturally cold to prevent spread of germs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.