Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I'll have to upload and add more pictures later but for now, here are the ratties. They are all being moved around at the moment, as my boys are now old enough to "do the deed", so they are being pared. Fingers crossed for some ratty babies soon. They are mostly just being tested for health this time round but given the all clear and finding out what genetics each has, I'll be breeding them again. Also have rat babies from Manchester waiting for me.

Sadly, though, one of my girls has a tumor growing on her stomach and as bad as this sounds, she'll not be taken to the vet. She is visibly ill, losing her coat, putting on weight too fast, laboured breathing and such, so we'll cull her at home soon :( It's such a shame, she is the most handleable too.

Our not very well girl, here you can see where her coat started to go

Helping Mum clean one of the cages

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now for some reptiles :)

Our Boa

Royal - 'scuse the state of the rug, sawdust and wood shavings get everywhere x.x

Likkle Corn snake

One of the cresties

The other crestie

We've also got some spiders, more reptiles, a couple of cats (and I've probably missed out someone!), so I'll upload more pics after work =)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jack Garcia said:
They're so cute and healthy-looking! :)
Thanks Jack - I know the line they came from so the testing of health is just me being paranoid and an overly concerned mummy. The rats in Manchester are from the same breeder and I can't wait to get them home.

We took on a huge 4ftx4ft wooden rat cage a while back. I was dubious about keeping them on wood but after speaking to a few breeders, they do too with no problems (or smell!) and my girls have loved it. It's basically a wooden bookshelf with a mesh door. Giving a huge amount of ventilation and so much floor space (shelves) for the girls to climb about in. I love it so much and it's worked so well, I got one for the mice as well. Not so big mind, 2 1/2ft x 2 1/2ft. It's done a bit differently but same principal and the mice love it. So much more room for them to use as they please, no smell due to the ventilation and because they are so busy playing with all the space, hidey holes and such, there isn't an inch of chewing in either of the cages, I'm dead impressed. So easy to clean too, though it's also easy for them to chuck out bedding easily lol. I'm a total convert. Though for mums and babies, we still kept the old cages =)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't wait for my girlies to breed, been waiting ages for the boys to age up.. well, it feels like ages! The problem I have here in Scotland is there aren't many ratteries, or even accidental matings, so finding "new blood" is really difficult :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.