Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blue roan (I think... if she were a horse she'd be a blue roan. Black with white hairs, making her look speckled):

And I'm going to cross her with my black merle buck:

What sort of babies will I get? I'm hoping for roans and merles. It will be his first litter, so I don't know anything about him, and her second. Her first litter was by a black buck, a broken carrier, and all babies were blacks.

I'm also going to breed my siamese doe:

To my fox buck:

I'm hoping I'll get fox babies, siamese babies, and selfs? My grasp of genetics for fox and siamese is rather thin, I'd appreciate if someone could set me right.

I'll breed the same fox buck to my black doe:

I think I'll get foxes and tans? She carries the broken gene.

I'll also breed my broken doe:

To my broken buck:

The babies will be all broken, but I don't know what their base colors will be. I don't know what she carries, but I hope there will be no PE because I don't care for that look. Both brokens are BE but his grandmother was PE, though his mom is a BE agouti. I don't know anmything about the doe's background.

Well, any help/predictions would be nice. I'll post baby pics as I get them. The mice haven't been bred yet, though, so it might be a while.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
for your (black) fox buck x black self doe, unless she carries ch, you won't have fox in the litter. If your Fox buck is homozygous for tan, then all yur litter will be taned, if he's heterozygous, then about half your litter will be tan.

hope i've helped :)

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So this litter will hopefully tell if he's heterozygous or homozygous for tan... Thanks! What about any of the others?

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
just wondering, your black doe, is she obese or was she just pregnant in this pic?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She just gave birth a couple days ago in that pic, and she was sitting hunched up. Her mother was the same way--gave birth and then looked hugely fat.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is is possible for a merle to also be a fox? I think mine might be. His belly is white with a clear line (faintly tan) between top and bottom. I don't have a good picture of it, but I'll try to get one.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What would breeding my merle (fox?) to an agouti carrying a broken gene produce? She doesn't have the chin gene, and she's heterozygous for agouti. I think... correct me if I'm wrong... I'll get half agouti, and half tans??? Because a tan is basically a self with the tan gene? Possibly, if he's heterozygous for tan, I could get selfs too? And they'd all carry the chin gene, assuming that's what he has? Am I reading this right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts