·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some black mice I've bred.

Krakatoa and Mauna Loa (granddaughters to the mouse in my profile pic):

Saint Helen:

Eyjafjallajökull:

They all look identical so the only way I can tell them apart is by keeping them in separate cages. :oops:

That's actually not pee on the fabric, btw. I had soaked the rosebuds overnight to make them open up, so they were wet. You can see the water drops on the roses. :p

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oh man, they are absolutely gorgeous. I love black mice and yours are PERFECT. And I love the third one's name!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha...thank you. They're actually not perfect. They have a few white hairs, near their noses and on their chests. They're also small, but that's just how (good) blacks are.

I also feel like their ears are too light inside (which is really weird now that I type it out) and they have pink soles.

Their names are all the names of volcanoes. I can't pronounce Eyjafjallajökull, so I just call her Ellen (it rhymes with her sister's name, Saint Helen). :p

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
They are really beautiful jack! I'd love some of your mice but think I'm a little far :cry:

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
You named them after volcanos? :lol:

Can you even pronounce the last one? -EDIT- Oh wait, duh, just read your other comment. :roll:

·
Registered
834 Posts
green eyed monster here

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, guys. :)

Blacks are so special. It's odd to me how they're always so small (compared to my PEWs or doves). They remind of of black holes: small, dense, and dark. :p

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I can see pale toes on Helen...

Oooo picky picky!!!! LOL Seriously though, nicely done.

W xx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WillowDragon said:
I can see pale toes on Helen...

Oooo picky picky!!!! LOL Seriously though, nicely done.

W xx
No, no, you're absolutely right. And like always, I appreciate valid criticisms as much (or more than) compliments.

The pale toe disease (what I call it in my head, lol) bugs me to no end. It's not the toes as much as it's the whole sole, I think. The lighting was off in this picture, but you can see the pale sole better:

It's so frustrating!

The insides of their ears and the bottom of their feet (which carries onto their toes) are the hardest parts to get black!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Those mice are in tip top condition Jack. I won BIS recently with a black at the London champs, and I have to tell you , you would love my blacks!. In a show in England one white toenail or one white hair is enough to keep you out of the cards. They have to be black as black from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail. The areas you have identified are the problem areas, but when you get them right they are very hard to beat. In my opinion, a near perfect black mouse is as good a show animal as you will ever see.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts