Pet Mice Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like every post I make over there, gets some rude, smart-as_ed comment form one of the moderators. There just seem to be no respect over there. I don't know if it was a conscious effort, just to piss me off, but EVERY one of my posts (most of them duplicates from over here) get some very rude comments from the mods.

Not only that, but I've had several posts 'Denied' and they always send an email explaining, and the mods are completely un-professional in the way that the explain why the post was rejected.

I know this isn't a 'rant' section, but this relates to behavior for one specific reason.

I posted a topic on -this- forum, about three brindle mothers that I had in the same tank, who all took turns taking care of each other's litters. I think the title is 'three moms that got along so well!' if you want to look it up and read it for yourself.

Here is the response that I got, when trying to post the same thing on TFM forum, after like, a week or two of waiting for it to be accepted:

We cannot in good conscience allow this post on the public forum. The
situation described is not amazing, it's downright dangerous and you were
very, very lucky those mice did not turn on each other, among other things.
In allowing so many females to give birth together, you cannot track lines
properly as you will not know who's babies are whose, on top of the
enormous amount of stress it puts on new mother's and babies who need a
serious measure of privacy. We cannot condone this, and in allowing the
post public, we do not want to give anyone the idea that this is a good
thing to do ~ever~. While we realize this was an accident, as someone who
breeds, you should have known better and set each pregnant doe up with her
own nursery immediately, especially since you did not know the date of
their pregnancy. The results could have catastrophic, and luckily it
worked out, but this is usually not the case, especially with mice in which
you do not know their genetic histories. Telling everyone that this was
amazing is dangerous and can encourage others to put their mice in danger.
It is for these reason we cannot approve this post. Secondly, we find it
rather appalling that you seem so thrilled with a blunder like this. Once
the first girl gave birth, you should've removed the other two immediately.
That you didn't implies a certain disregard for their lives. Wild mice
may colonize like this, but these are not wild mice, and in allowing this
to happen you put them in grave danger, not too mention the over-crowding
that could impact seriously impact health, the possible baby-theft,
maiming, or any huge number of terrible things that could've happened.
What if one of those babies fell out of the hammock? Domestic mice do not
behave like wild mice, and this situation is scary, not funny or cute.

Maybe it's just me... But does that seem -over- exaggerated to you?
And about the fancy mice 'not colonizing' I've had tons of success with colonizing, and so have a few people i know (i don't know many people that breed mice personally, but out of the few i do know...).

I don't think I'll be using that forum any more. It just seems to be owned and operated by very rude people.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Everyone has an different idea on how to raise/breed mice and on the FunMouse sometimes they can take it overbaord,but they usually mean well. Their ideas are a bit different then some other breeders though.
Theres some nice people on there,but theres others that can be a bit much.

·
Registered
310 Posts
they should be more worried about their grammar

and ya i agree with you.. they really overreacted. i dont think there is anything wrong with keeping does together to give birth. i stopped using that forum after i got in a huge argument because i didnt want to waste money on popsicle sticks.. somehow it led to them telling me that i "need to save thousands of dollars for the vet"..

you should just ignore it. this forum is 10 times better anyway ;)

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Yes, some of them are over the top as far as tellling other breeders how to run their mousery, or the one or two cages, if that's the case. It would seem to be a case of cranio-rectalitis; or perhaps one or more of them have a moderately sized piece of hardened vegetation of the arboreal variety wedged...ooh, I wouldn't want to be offensive, they might find out and ban me again...oh, what the heck...where their brain belongs, or maybe somewhere completely different.

Actually, I think I never stuck around that forum long enough to get banned. I could read the writing on the wall. The generally nonjudgemental attitude of this forum's members are what keep me active. We are good!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the criticism on this forum. It's USEFUL and generally not opinionated and judgmental.

. . . Cranio-rectalitis... LOL.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Personally I always try to get my does to birth in pairs or small groups and failing that then put in another doe to act as a nanny. I have had does birth on their own and its worked out ok most of the time but I have had better results from nursing groups. The problem with does birthing alone which I ahve experienced is them failing to rpoduce milk or just being a bad mother, Ive had to foster babies from a single mother into group situations several times.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Pious, self-righteous maniacs. Tell 10 decades worth of English show breeders that it's dangerous to keep groups of mothers together.

There's a rat forum that's very similar. I wouldn't dare post on it when I used to breed rats, people can be so horrid. My friends and I used to refer to a specific group of people on there as the rat police. The shame of it is that all these people had much knowledge they could have shared, but instead they used it to flame people that didn't keep their rats exactly as they did. And heaven forbid you posted an accidental litter or even that you wanted to breed your rats! There was a huge amount of hypocrisy, and it sadly meant that people who did need advice felt unable to post :(

ETA: Once, in a telephone conversation about the Rat Police and their ridiculous pet-only, non-breeding 'contracts', Tony Jones said to me "I bought those rats and I'll breed 'em. If I bought a car and decided to spray it yellow, I'd bl**dy well spray it yellow!"

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
I've enjoyed success when I have grouped mothers/litters together and also failure when I have left a doe alone with her litter. That's not to say that either is right or wrong .
When Common Sense doesn't provide the answer I like to try things out and SEE what works best, thus, learning from my mistakes.

Stay with us here on the nice forum Rhasputin :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I had considered joining fun mouse once but was too disgusted at the attitude in some of the posts!! Everyone is entitled to their opinion but they need to realise that there is a balance between giving advice and have a case of self righteous, argumentative verbal diarrhoea!! :lol: Sounds like they have taken narcissism to a whole new level :D

Stick with us! I haven't been here long but have found it one of the best mouse forums ever so far ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I agree that that is unprofessional mod behavior. I am a mod on a sim-pet site - and although it sounds rather different - there is one key element in being a mod: be professional without portraying bias!

That's exactly what those mods did - they were biased toward their own beliefs.

You know what? Many mice prefer to have babies with other mothers (around the same time, of course) - psychologically it reduces their stress and gives them some adult company (provided there is adequate space and proper living environment). Perhaps this doesn't always happen, but there is certainly no right or wrong way to do it!

I can't believe they said things like "Secondly, we find it
rather appalling that you seem so thrilled with a blunder like this." and "...and this situation is scary, not funny or cute." Terribly biased.

As a website moderator on another website, I find their behavior quite insulting. Then again, it's their site, I suppose.

Stay here. :) So far, I've found that this is by far the best mousie forum I've come across on the interwebz!

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Does housed together are often more fertile, as the dominant does cycle also stimulate and regulates the cycles of the others. This assertion would be 'politically incorrect' over there.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
When I first started breeding mice, I got most of my information from TFM, mostly genetics and other things. I never looked at the forum, but as I read what they considered proper behavior for the mice and how to deal with them, I thought, well, I'm doing it differently and my mice are working out fine... They'd probably all have a heart attack if I started treating them the "proper" way, lol. My mice and I get along just fine!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Nope, its not you :)
That forum is more for pet owners, then for breeders. They judge new breeders very hard and seem to think they breeders should already knew everything, but whats the fun in that? If theres nothing to learn then its not really the same.
And instead of offering help all they do is bash.
But there are som good people on there.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I don't think they'd be at all happy if they saw my stud! My mice all live in lab cages with no toys, hammocks, or even a food bowl. All they get is a big pile of hay. I don't feed them treats and, although I handle them every day, they don't get time out of their cages. Yet somehow they are superb condition, totally happy and friendly, and breed like maniacs! I reckon that if mice are eating, breeding and in tip-top condition then they can't be miserable!

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a good view to have, Sarah.

I like for all of my mice to have a wheel, a house, and a water bottle at the bare minimum.
All of my mice are happy, all are healthy, and all are breeding (that are supposed to be!) and I haven't had any troubles with deaths or fighting in quite some time. I'm almost having -too- much success! I'm going to have to take a lot more out for snake food, than I would have liked to this round. :p

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Not all my my mice have wheels, but I do try to give them each a toy along with a house.
My mice are all healthy & happy which is all that matters.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
My boys live in bare cages, 'cept for the bedding and some timothy for fun (and it does a good job of 'freshnin'*), ;especially the ones that live in twos or fours. The singletons are in smaller tanks, and those boys occasionally get a wheel if I have a clean one small enough to go in there. The girls get all sorts of junk to play with when I'm in the mood and have the energy. Sometimes you can hardly see the meeces for all the playstuff.

*tho they hardly need it; my boys smell like sunshine and roses... :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had to check it out and see what it was all about. WOW! I'm SO incredibly thankful that I found this forum first, as I think they would have scared me away from joining any forum! A lot of them are just vicious, for lack of a better word. Although I did have to smudge the truth a little; telling them i had half the mice I do have and withholding the fact of being a feeder breeder. but I guess thats okay, after all, my pet store mice wouldn't be more than "a glob of slime on the bottom of their shoe"! :lol: :lol: I can't deal with the negative things they say about people (and their mice), so I'm happy to stay here. :) (guess I'm not doing any better by talking about them. :( )
I love my babies just way they are!!!

Thank you to everyone on this forum for being respectful and polite to others. It makes such a huge difference in morale and makes things pleasant for everyone. I'm proud to be part of such an amazing group of people. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.